Trinity school scholarship

(11 Posts)
Sofi21 Sat 13-Feb-16 06:40:50

My son did the exam and the interview on January 2016.

I had the full fee paid offer letter yesterday.

But I was expecting an Academic scholarship for him as he academically very strong.

Would I contact the school and ask where he went wrong? And why he hasn't been offered an academic scholorship?

This is my first child and I have no clue of how they process the application?

Could anyone clarify me!?

Thanks!

LIZS Sat 13-Feb-16 07:07:19

Competition is fierce. Scholarships don't always carry a high monetary value rather prestige. Perhaps your ds didn't perform well enough on the day , or unevenly across the papers, and others did better. I'm sure you can ask for feedback if the interview didn't suggest any. Occasionally you can negotiate but usually only if you have other offers with awards. Sorry you are disappointed but he did well to get a place.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 13-Feb-16 07:36:22

I think maybe you need to look at it another way he may not have gone wrong any where, just on the day there were people who were stronger than he was. As previously said there is often intense competition for these academic scholarships.

Ladymuck Mon 15-Feb-16 14:02:25

You can phone admissions and ask for feedback. They will be happy to discuss his results with you. Did he have a scholarship interview (you would know if he had, as the headmaster would tell you)? Or did he have a Saturday interview.

I understand that last year they had a number of boys who scored full marks in the maths paper and they were unable to offer scholarships to all.

noobledooble Thu 18-Feb-16 11:46:08

We had a scholarship interview and were told ds had got top marks in English and in the 80's for Maths. I thought that was pretty good but full fees for us too. The only boy I know this year who has got an academic scholarship for got 99% in Maths, apparently and mid 80s in English. I also know a boy who got a significant academic scholarship from Whitgift but also full fees from Trinity. Think it's a tough year and they have all done extremely well to get in at all remember as wasn't it only 60 boys this year? (due to overoffering on 10+ last year?)

It sucks but seems that's that.

noobledooble Thu 18-Feb-16 11:47:35

on the negotiation thing, would you be able to negotiate from full fees? I thought you could only negotiate a scholarship award up? Would the schools know if you'd got an award elsewhere?

Ladymuck Fri 19-Feb-16 12:53:18

There was a period after the banking crisis where it seemed that there was a lot of negotiation, especially at Whitgift which has a lot of places to fill. Personally I've heard of far less movement on scholarships in the past 2 or 3 years where demand has outstripped supply. Trinity is very much in demand at present and tries to manage its numbers. I expect this year that the actual difference in ability/scores between the last boy to be offered a scholarship and the first boy on the waiting list is fairly small. That said it is hard to read how a change in headmaster affects parental preference.

sara176 Fri 19-Feb-16 20:12:21

Hi , I was wondering if it's possible to be offered a bursary but not scholarships. Because we are not offered scholarship but we are in the reserve list for bursary.

seriouslymum Sat 20-Feb-16 17:55:51

Hi, I am very new to this.
Could anyone please clarify the difference between 10+and 11+.
Sorry if its a silly question?

LIZS Sat 20-Feb-16 18:50:54

10+ is taken by year 5s for entry into equivalent of year 6, 11+ year 6s for entry into year 7 equivalent as per most secondaries.

seriouslymum Sun 13-Mar-16 04:51:21

Thanks LIZS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now