how do I get my 11 year old to do his homework!

(10 Posts)
dravensangel Tue 02-Feb-16 20:33:16

Morning all, my son is in yr 7 and has already had detention for not doing his homework. I have tried many things, but nothing seems to work! Any ideas gratefully receivedsmile

Nicknamegrief Tue 02-Feb-16 20:43:56

No homework, no TV, going out, clubs, Internet etc in this house.
I also (with admittedly my year five child), have spoken to the school and got their input and support with the matter.

Bolognese Tue 02-Feb-16 20:48:58

Kitchen table. When he has finished he can go play.

How are you allowing to go into school without it done?

HarrietSchulenberg Tue 02-Feb-16 20:52:53

Easier said than done. My Y10 flatly refuses to do homework. Just shoves past me and goes out anyway.
Bribery did work for a while, though. £1 for every piece of hwk completed satisfactorily.

dravensangel Wed 03-Feb-16 17:30:04

Thank you for the helpful suggestions. Much appreciated

nicp123 Wed 03-Feb-16 20:01:40

No homework = No contact with friends, or watching/using electronic devises etc. My DS does homework at the table in the kitchen straight after school whilst I'm cooking his favourite dish.

neuroticnicky Wed 03-Feb-16 20:10:47

Take away his phone and internet access until its done...

WeAllHaveWings Wed 03-Feb-16 20:17:10

Ask if he has a preference of straight after school, or chill for 30 mins first, or after dinner etc. Ask where he wants to do it - dinning table, his room etc. When the time comes don't ask him to do his homework, tell him it's homework time.

He sits until it's done no pleading (from you!) or cajouling, only give advice and only on subject if needed.

If you have time constraints tell him how long he has before consequences kick in and stick to it.

If not genuinely attempted then appropriate consistent consequences so it's clear what will happen next time..

Ds(11) doesn't do homework because he wants to, he does it because he knows it's non negotiable.

sunnydayinmay Wed 03-Feb-16 20:49:57

Agree, it's non negotiable and comes before anything else. So, drink and snack, then homework until it's done. Once they're in the habit, it becomes easier - it's the starting to do it that causes the pain.

Tigerblue Thu 04-Feb-16 10:17:39

Does he struggle? Would offering any help get you anywhere?

It might be worth speaking to the school and seeing how they can support you as well. Every school is different, DD's school will make allowances for the odd occasion homework isn't handed in but if it's on a regular basis then detentions are regularly given.

In Year 7 my DD would do her homework, but would come in, have a snack, mess around, use the excuse she needed a shower and then tea and I'd get so frustrated. This seems to have continued, but having said that come 6pm she'll get her head down and if necessary will work for 3 hours, so do bear in mind it has to be at a time when he would want to do it (if he does). If he's messing around on screens, you could switch broadband off, so he can't connect to certain things.

As others have said though, if he just won't look at it, then you need to be strict, no screens, no going out, no scouts or whatever his hobbies are outside the house unless he's done it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now