Compulsory Education At 17

(5 Posts)
kateb1975 Wed 20-Jan-16 21:14:23

My niece started her A-Levels in Sept 2015 following her GCSE's. Due to a change in circumstances at home, she moved out shortly after starting them, and in to a hostel. As the hostel wasn't local to school it became increasingly hard for her to cope with her education and looking after herself. At Christmas, she made the decision to move 200 miles from where she was to live with us. Obviously one of my main concerns is to get her education sorted. On reflection, she has decided that an NVQ would be a better path for her, and we found a course at our local college that starts in January and so I thought that we were sorted! However, we went along to enrol tonight and it turns out that the course is not sufficient hours to be considered full time education. Can anyone advise me on what we could do? She has missed too much of her courses to continue with A-levels and so that isn't an option. She can start the NVQ in September but I don't want to be breaking the law by her not being in education from now until September. We are happy to pay for her to do this course just to keep her busy and keep her mind working as long as we're not breaking the law - I am just struggling to find any guidance for this situation. Thanks 😊

titchy Wed 20-Jan-16 21:17:15

Part time is fine! And well done for taking her in.

kateb1975 Wed 20-Jan-16 21:27:14

Thank you titchy, that is really reassuring 😊 We would have taken her in from day one but she wanted to stay where her friends were, understandably. However, I can't even begin to tell you how relieved I am that she is here now - I know she's safe, I know she's being looked after - the whole family, including her Mum, have breathed a huge sigh of relief I think! X

GasLIghtShining Wed 20-Jan-16 23:04:46

I know someone whose son is neither studying or working (would be year 13 if he was) and nobody's caught up with them. So I wouldn't be worrying. At least she is doing something.

AS titchy says well done for taking her in and hope all goes well

Saracen Fri 22-Jan-16 01:56:55

If your niece is doing paid or voluntary work for at least 20 hours a week, the law only requires her to be in part-time education/training. She might enjoy that.

Currently there are no criminal penalties for not complying with the duty to remain in education anyway, so don't lose any sleep over that! The only practical consequence is that after Y11, you cannot claim benefits (e.g. Child Benefit) for her unless she is in full-time education.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now