LEH

(17 Posts)
Greengagesummer Fri 15-Jan-16 13:37:16

Does anyone know numbers for Lady Eleanor Holles ie how many took the exam, how many will called for interview etc?
Thank you.

Greengagesummer Fri 15-Jan-16 16:36:54

Gentle bump...

AnotherNewt Fri 15-Jan-16 17:20:41

You might be interested in this thread about SW girls schools admissions 2016 but it doesn't seem to have any info on the numbers at LEH.

Greengagesummer Fri 15-Jan-16 17:50:38

Thank you AnotherNewt, no news there as you say so I think it's just a waiting game.

3Plumpuddings Tue 19-Jan-16 22:33:36

My 3 all go there - but have all come up from junior skl (natural progression if keeping up with standard of work)
Feel free to ask me whatever you like - can't guarantee I'll know all answers but will try and help if you need!x

Shirleycantbe Wed 20-Jan-16 09:46:11

Are you happy with the pastoral care 3Plumpuddings? Level of pressure?

These are the things I hear mutterings about when it comes to LEH.

whatwouldrondo Wed 20-Jan-16 10:28:59

Don't necessarily listen to the old mutterings. The new Head has an entirely different approach and plenty of evidence it is action and not just words. Though some parents may not welcome a move away from the focus on A*s hmm

Tumfy Wed 20-Jan-16 10:44:25

3Plum, what do your DDS say about LEH?Are they happy, do they mostly rate their teachers well, do you feel that they will come away from LEH with a love of learning and respect for endeavour?
I want those qualities in my DD to be preserved, ideally enhanced, though I don't know if I'm being too idealistic.

DramaQueen38 Wed 20-Jan-16 11:37:02

I have dds there. I'd say the school does not exert undue pressure, that comes from (some of) the parents and to an extent, the girls themselves - nothing new amongst high achieving pupils in any school. There is so much sport, drama and music, which is celebrated and applauded, it is not all about academic work.

I agree with the pp about the new head. I had a reason to contact her with a pastoral issue about one of my dds, it was dealt with efficiently and effectively. Our family is very happy with the school.

3Plumpuddings Wed 20-Jan-16 13:18:42

We had an issue with a bit of bullying to dd2, was dealt with very quickly and efficiently. The pressure is pretty much all the girls - dd1 took a long time to get used to it, I think the more confident definitely thrive. She is considering moving for sixth form as she basically feels she has been there too long and wants a fresh start - this is just her personal opinion though!

lokica2008 Sat 23-Jan-16 01:19:13

3Plum just a question- my dd is in leh juniors but it is all new to me. she is very happy there and confident girl.i never had a mentor for her and i worked with her before 7 + tests.. she was in a state school.. i am now starting to think that maybe she will need someone for english just because it is not my first language and not sure i can help her for the 11+ exam in leh. i know that in year 5 they will let us know if the girl is " good" to pass to senior but shall i leave it to school to prepare her or maybe start to look for someone to help her with comprehesions and writing.. ??? 70 percent of her classmates were from private schools with extra mentors and i have a feeling that some of them continue with mentors. how hard is from a junior girl to pass the exam for senior school?? i don t even know where to look for a good mentor.I dont want to wait to come to year 5 and have surprise like "not good enough "))look for a different school

3Plumpuddings Sat 23-Jan-16 03:12:44

There's only ever around 3 who don't get through from the junior school. It's just automatic transfer - as long as they think your daughter is fine, she will go straight through with no 11+ exam. If they think she won't pass, they'll let you know at the beginning of l2. There's extra English and maths club at lunch which they will strongly advise her to go to if they feel she needs it - so in effect, extra tutoring from the school. My eldest daughter needed this for maths - without it she would not have got through. She joined in l2 and her maths from poor state school wasn't at a high enough standard. But I wouldn't be worried at all! The teachers in the junior school are so good - she will be fine just with them. Is she in form 1?- she still has plenty of time for English to come along a lot. Personally, I would leave the school to it - they will be more than capable of getting her to the standard, and if you did have any concerns I'd just go in and talk to them - they're all lovely! My dd3 has just got the confirmation letter. She's in l2 at the moment. Good luck smile hope I helped x

DramaQueen38 Sat 23-Jan-16 22:24:27

Agree with 3pp. If your child is struggling or under performing in any way, the junior dept put in extra English and/or maths lessons in L2 to ensure they reach their full potential before the decision is made re senior school. Leave it to the school - that's what you are paying for.
And for the very few who don't get the offer to seniors, I understand it is never a shock, they have plenty of warning, support and many discussions before it gets to the point whereby a final decision is made. At that point any sane parent would probably agree that seniors at LEH is probably not the right route any way.

DramaQueen38 Wed 10-Feb-16 12:14:39

As of this year there is now no exam for progression to senior school. They have decided that if your child is thriving and doing well, and they really should know based on their experience of teaching your child for several years, they will just get the nod to go onto seniors. They will still have annual end of year exams and continuous testing as they do currently and the whole package of your child will be assessed. It won't be based on the exam. Much more sane, and should put off the loony parents from tutoring like crazy for exam week. Hurrah for the new head teacher!

HappyDads Fri 19-Feb-16 01:01:56

Just wanted to mention there has been direct entry from LEH Juniors to LEH Seniors for at least 2 or 3 years before the new head - so that's not from Mrs Hanbury although feedback on her seems really very positive indeed, and she's making an effort to know the girls.

The direct entry approach does take the pressure off, and I agree 100% with everything being said. If the school has doubts your daughter in juniors will get into the seniors, then you'll be hearing about it along the way especially in Year 4 I believe.

I also feel there is more pressure from the parents' and kids' competitiveness than the school ... I think the school rather understands all this, and do their best to minimise it, while still pushing to get the most from the kids. A tricky balance for sure.

SWLondonGirl Fri 19-Feb-16 07:48:48

The senior school is very well balanced (I can't comment on the junior school). The academic standard is high but totally manageable and not pressured. Extra-curricular activities are extremely diverse and are a huge part of school life. The girls' well being and personal development is integral to the schools ethos (I only have experience of the new head) and there is a real buzz around the place with so much going on.

DramaQueen38 Sat 20-Feb-16 13:09:36

Happydads the direct entry decision was made based on L2 exam testing. The L2 exam just replaced the public 11+. This has now changed this year and they assess the girls based on continuous assessment and their knowledge of them. That's new this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now