Dulwich College 11+ interviews

(18 Posts)
lupeg Mon 11-Jan-16 14:42:09

My first thread on Mumsnet, can anyone give advice about the DC 11+ interview and what it involves/how to prepare? A friend's son was asked "would you eat a cat burger?" last year, so not sure what direction prep should take?! Any help welcome as DS has his this week

LibbyKit2 Mon 11-Jan-16 16:19:19

That's hilarious re cat burger question - and worrying! No help re DC interviews, except that my son has one on thurs... so wondering same thing.

lupeg Mon 11-Jan-16 22:31:45

Hope it goes well!

VivienneWestwood Mon 11-Jan-16 23:55:59

My son interviewed at DC last year. The interview was straightforward - he was asked some mental maths questions, given a passage to read (silently) and then asked some questions about it. Finally they asked him about his interests - reading in his case, so they asked what made a good plot in a book. He talked about rollercoaster plots and cliffhanger plots - standard stuff he'd learnt in literacy at school. The boys fill out a form about their interests so I went thru those with him to make sure he put down something sensible! All the interviews he did were really well managed and he came out of all of them very bouncy and positive. Hopefully your son will enjoy the experience! Good luck!

fleurdelacourt Tue 12-Jan-16 10:49:30

ds is up tomorrow. He has recently got a lot better at talking to adults - he can now hold his own even with people he's just met which is a major step up from where he was 6 months ago. So apart from reminding him of all his hobbies to avoid him just talking about crystals (!) I'm going to leave him to his own devices.
Will report back if he remembers anything of it!

lupeg Tue 12-Jan-16 20:24:26

I think a conversation about crystals would make a refreshing change! Hope all goes well for tomorrow!

citykat Tue 12-Jan-16 22:21:51

No weird questions for my DS last year either. Based on the sheet he had filled in previously. All v relaxed- the most relaxed set up of the 4 schools he interviewed at. Good luck.

fleurdelacourt Thu 14-Jan-16 07:41:10

all seemed to go very smoothly yesterday. There were boys, teachers and current parents for us to chat to beforehand.

ds was quite happy with how it all went - some reading aloud and maths questions and then a general chat.

we then had our session with the Master. he's v charming, but we did just get one question each. then there was a lot of listening to him. He is inspirational, but it was in no way a 2 way chat.

hope all goes smoothly for everyone else

LibbyKit2 Thu 14-Jan-16 21:04:03

Hi just to add, my son had his DC interview today. They couldn't have been nicer & more welcoming. All straightforward. He had to read a passage, talk about it. Then a few mental maths questions. Then general chat. Good luck to all others.

runaboutmum Wed 27-Jan-16 09:39:09

Hi all, I am new to Mumsnet. Could I ask when you had your exams at DC and how and when you received the invite for interview, just sat exams and would like to clarify time lines etc.

Thanks

fleurdelacourt Wed 27-Jan-16 11:15:37

The exam was the first Tuesday In Jan - and the invitations to interviews started coming out by letter on the Friday of that week.

Interviews were Monday 11 - Tuesday 19 Jan. It was all detailed in the pack they sent out once the application deadline closed in Nov/Dec.

HTH

runaboutmum Wed 27-Jan-16 11:42:51

Thanks fleurdelacourt for the information it has helped and I am holding my nerves! Because we registered back in year 5 for DC we never received the pack and unfortunately received the letter late (3 weeks late infact) about attending the Christmas evening in December due to the post going missing, as a result of this when I called DC about this the exams came up and I was then sent a letter of attendance. A little muddled I know but things got lost in the post over Christmas period. However the dates were all correct on the letters sent from DC. Once again thank you very much for your help and good luck

fleurdelacourt Wed 27-Jan-16 11:47:04

gosh that sounds a muddle. so did your ds get to sit the exam in the end? Hope it all works out for you.

SquirmOfEels Wed 27-Jan-16 12:03:49

Dulwich 11+ admissions timetable here

Posting date for offers 11 Feb.

runaboutmum Wed 27-Jan-16 12:06:54

Hi fleurdelacourt yes ds did sit for the 13+ which was last Saturday, so hence my anxiety about what happens next - I have to say they seemed very ordered we were very impressed. But just to make a point for other readers it was by no means DC fault, when the letters arrived they were dated as at previous dates so they had truly been missing in the post. Well lets hope something good comes of it all. Thanks for the information.

runaboutmum Wed 27-Jan-16 12:09:00

Thanks SquimOfEels for this

SquirmOfEels Wed 27-Jan-16 12:24:17

13+ has same offers posting date.

Interviews 1-5th Feb, and I think they ring, rather than rely on the post.

www.dulwich.org.uk/college/admissions/entry-procedures-and-timetable/middle-school

runaboutmum Wed 27-Jan-16 12:34:41

Thank you SquirmOfEels and everybody else for the information it has been very helpful and quick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now