Alleyn's scholarships

(8 Posts)
Luna9 Fri 08-Jan-16 19:10:23

Are they really worth trying for ? I am talking about the academic, sport, art, music

Noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 08-Jan-16 23:43:56

Yes - they're £3000 off the fees for the academic scholarships and while that's not going to make a huge dent in the fees it's better than a poke in the eye ...
Also they serve very nice biscuits at the scholarship interview days ...

AnotherNewt Sat 09-Jan-16 00:14:38

It depends what you mean by worth it. The main value is the honour, though a few awards have a decent cash value (maximum is £4k) there are also lots of exhibitions of £250. And whatever the cash value of course it means that your DC would be acknowledged as talented and extended in that field.

All entrants are automatically assessed for academic scholarships from the regular entrance exams; separate assessments/auditions/portfolio assessment for the others. If your DC is very clever, or is really passionate about sport, music or art, then yes it would be an excellent thing to have a try for.

Luna9 Sat 09-Jan-16 07:31:40

Thank you; I think any free money is worth it. What I meant is how competitive they are and whether it is a waste of time as they may be only few available and only for the top high achievers. My dd is very good at sports and arts but I am not sure she is scholarship material. I believe lots of children try for them. Also: what do you present for an art scholarship ?

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sat 09-Jan-16 11:26:10

Yes they're competitive but if your daughter's fantastic at one sport or very good at two or more then it's worth a shot. Typically sports scholars will already be competing and training at a high level outside school, as well as representing their current school in the A teams. Potential art scholars would need to prepare a portfolio of work - this takes quite a while to put together. Your best bet would be to go along to the next open day and talk to one of the art teachers

AnotherNewt Sat 09-Jan-16 11:53:54

It's very, very competitive!

But definitely worth a shot if your DD is talented in those areas. I agree with the advice that you need to talk to the Art Department about portfolios (this is where it will be an advantage if you're at a prep, because the art teachers there should have a good handle on portfolio preparation too). I think the final shortlist are invited in for an art assessment as well.

For sports, it's based on an supplementary form (where you list achievements and also attach references) then there is an assessment day, where they look at fitness plus performance in three sports from a list of five.

Clavinova Sat 09-Jan-16 12:41:56

Definitely worth applying for as you 'up' your dc's profile in the entrance assessments. An academically strong dc who has also shown some interest and talent in sport and art and is likely to contribute to these areas is well placed for an offer and may even help decide who might be awarded an academic scholarship.

Luna9 Sun 10-Jan-16 21:31:25

That's what I thought that they are very competitive but if it helps wit their profile is worth giving it a try. Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now