6th Form recommendations - South West London or close by

(10 Posts)
Bluepinstrips Fri 18-Dec-15 14:37:18

My DS is in Y9 at an independent school. He works exceptionally hard but isn't very academic and despite his efforts gets pretty low marks in most of his subjects. Frustratingly he probably won't be offered a place in his current schools 6th form and to be honest we'd like to move him. Can anyone recommend a good co-ed 6th form (state or independent) that has a relatively low minimum entry grade but gets reasonable results?

Bluepinstrips Fri 18-Dec-15 14:39:56

Sorry he's Y10 not Y9 😴 so need to think about applying at the end of this school year I assume....

lasermum Fri 18-Dec-15 17:37:15

This maybe the wrong location but Esher College is very good - and very popular. It is one train stop from Surbiton so very popular with pupils coming from a wide area.

Bluepinstrips Sat 19-Dec-15 12:09:53

Thanks lasermum. Yes I got the perspectus from Esher College and we will probably apply. There doesn't seem to be anything else similar closer though and anxious that we have a few options.

Waitingandhoping2015 Sat 19-Dec-15 14:37:30

I can only second Esher College as being very good. DS started there in Sep from an independent school, though he could've stayed if he wanted and is doing very well and really likes the change. We qualified by postcode so entry was automatic, I don't know how hard it is to get if you are from further afield.

lasermum Sun 20-Dec-15 12:20:17

Alternatively, most comprehensive schools in the area have sixth forms and also get good results eg Hinchley Wood School near Esher College or Heathside on Weybridge. They may not offer the same range of subjects but could be a more supportive environment

Savagebeauty Sun 20-Dec-15 12:29:25

Eshet is probably your best bet .
Not sure what the minimum grades are .
Coombe sixth form have put theirs up to minimum 7 GCSEs A*-C.

Bluepinstrips Sun 20-Dec-15 17:02:52

Thanks. Does anyone have any experience of sixth forms colleges or sixth forms attached to comprehensives nearer SW London e.g. Richmond, Sheen, Chiswick, Putney?

wheresthebeach Mon 21-Dec-15 21:01:12

Take a look at RPA and Christ's sixth form. Both new so no track record but get a feel.

Ark Sixth Form has had a solid reputation for years - I friend of ours sent her daughter there after being at The Green and she had a great time and went off to study languages at Oxford. Also look at Ashcroft as their sixth form also seems to get results.

Another friend sent her son to Esther - thought it was a great school. This was a while ago and admissions were on a first come, first served basis so she got in the car at 5am and camped outside!

BeaufortBelle Tue 29-Dec-15 04:18:47

St Cecilias, Southfields. Six GCSE A-C and doesn't insist on A grades to study A'Levels. Good school for the not particularly academic. Fine if you aren't looking for languages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now