eton college 6th form kings scholarship

(13 Posts)
College01 Wed 28-Oct-15 09:12:49

We're sending an application for eton 6th form scholarship, what would his predicted GCSE grades have to be to get in.
His predicted grades are 6a*s 2as and 2bs

Eton2017 Wed 28-Oct-15 09:52:55

I saw your other thread, but didn't respond because I don't know. There are only 9 sixth-form scholarships per year, so the chances of someone who really knows seeing your thread have to be slim. My guess - and it is a guess - is that it depends why his predictions are not higher. Is he currently at a very poor school, or is that his intellectual level?

I realise those predictions are for results that would normally be considered very good, but compare them with Eton's most recent GCSE results: in summer 2014, 76.1% of Eton's GCSE results were A*, and 95.6% were A or A*. So your DS is predicted to get results worse than the average results from those already in the school, which is, on the face of it, not promising for getting a scholarship, unless there are mitigating circumstances. However, perhaps if he plans to take A levels in subjects he is expected to get A*s in, especially if the A*s understate his ability in those subjects, it might work. I have no idea whether or to what extent music, drama etc. count for sixth form scholarships. In short, I don't know, but wanted you to have some reply smile

The term King's Scholarship, I believe, applies only to scholarships at age 13, not the sixth form scholarships.

College01 Wed 28-Oct-15 14:09:43

He should of got a* across the board but the reasons why he didn't were his school didn't really allow him to go higher in the subjects he's not predicted a*. He's very confident he'll get a* in a levels though. And he's choosing his a levels in the ones he's predicted a*.

halvedfees Wed 28-Oct-15 14:39:42

I'm confused - has he done his GCSEs or not.

PS It is "should have" not "should of"...............

College01 Wed 28-Oct-15 14:45:56

He's done 2

College01 Wed 28-Oct-15 14:55:10

Still has 8 more to do

halvedfees Wed 28-Oct-15 15:24:30

My opinion would be that if he is genuinely performing at the top of what his school will allow to do ie he is top in his year by some distance, and that he is stellar in the subjects he is planning to take for A level then he has a chance. But he will have to show outstanding potential.

Is he at a private school already? - I notice you mention CCF.

College01 Wed 28-Oct-15 15:38:22

State school which is linked to a private school ccf.
You said he has a chance but high likely would it be that he gets In.
If he gets interviewed he would show his potential but would he get to that stage.

halvedfees Wed 28-Oct-15 15:53:10

is the private school generally helping out/mentoring your DS's school?

College01 Wed 28-Oct-15 15:56:02

They allow members of the state school to join its ccf but that's it

halvedfees Wed 28-Oct-15 16:02:08

I'm sure you've seen this

www.etoncollege.com/sixthformscholars.aspx

It does say

"you should be expecting very good grades at GCSE."

And imo your DS's grades are good but not very good.

However it does go on to say

" Reports on current progress and likely GCSE grades will be sought from schools. On the basis of these reports, short-listed candidates will be asked to come to Eton in February (bringing examples of recent work with them) for interviews in their likely A-level or Pre-U subjects, an aptitude test, and a general paper. "

So if your school reports are brilliant then you may get to sit the tests.

Realistically a long shot, but I wish you luck.

IndridCold Wed 28-Oct-15 16:44:56

GCSE results are obviously important, but they will assess your son on the whole package. All the sixth form scholars I have met have been pretty stellar in another field, usually music, but some are excellent at sport - as in having a national profile in their chosen discipline.

He would almost certainly need A*s in his A level subjects need,maps a PP has mentioned.

peteneras Wed 28-Oct-15 18:47:25

Your thread title tells me there’s a lot of confusion and misunderstandings here. The Sixth Form Scholarship and the King’s Scholarship at Eton are two completely different types of scholarships. There are a plethora of scholarships at Eton, some conferred honorary with no financial values attached to them and some, though limited to 10% of the fees officially, but in reality can be worth up to more than 100% in combination with a (massive) bursary that almost always goes together.

The King’s Scholarship is without any shadow of a doubt the most prestigious of them all and is firmly enshrined in Eton’s foundation. Some may even say it’s the foundation itself i.e. the King’s Scholars. Boys take the KS exams at the age of 13 and successful boys keep the scholarship for 5 years i.e. his entire career at Eton. It is said, for example, not even the Head Master can dismiss/expel a King’s Scholar who are/were literally the King’s scholars and not the Head Master’s who himself is just an employee of the King. In the modern world, The Provost (who represents the King) works very closely with the Head Master who in reality has much influence on The Provost.

The modern world also saw the introduction of many other scholarships at Eton for excellence in academic work, music, drama etc. Some are more specific e.g. only for boys of Arab/Palestinian origin or of Russian heritage etc. The 2-year Sixth Form Scholarship is designed mainly for boys from the state sector though boys from the private sector with a substantial bursary is also eligible to apply.

The KS is now out of the question for your son, OP. Your son’s predicted GCSE grades are very respectable. You cannot compare them with boys from Eton of course, who would have had at least two or three years solid Eton education prior to doing their GCSE’s, not to mention the many years spent at premier prep schools in most cases by these same boys. The Sixth Form Scholarship is designed specifically for boys like your son. Needless to say, it is a very competitive scholarship (like all other Eton scholarships) and having great and respectable GCSE grades is one thing but Eton is looking for more than just great academic achievements. A great all-rounder IMO stands just as good a chance as a solitary academic, if not better. Go for it and do your best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now