Secondary (High) School Open Days - what to consider

(3 Posts)
eightytwenty Mon 26-Oct-15 12:00:48

We have open days at our two local high schools coming up. We are in Scotland so should have a choice between our non secular feeder school (which is currently under performing in terms of results and school inspection, but which has recently appointed a new head who appears to have a good vision for the school) versus a high performing Catholic School. We will fit the admissions criteria for both. Our son would prefer to go to the feeder school with the majority of his peers. He would know few if any children in his year at the Catholic School.

What would you be looking at when looking round at the open days? I'm trying to assess what impact a new head can make on a school that should be performing better and how the Catholic school would help integrate a child who wouldn't have the support of a primary school peer group.

NickNackNooToYou Mon 26-Oct-15 18:25:47

We personally went on gut feeling. When we looked round our DS totally 'clicked' with the school we've put as our first choice.

It's so difficult and I was tying myself up in knots so my DS made the decision and I'm more than happy about it.

Good luck

eightytwenty Mon 26-Oct-15 22:35:37

Thanks Nicknac. Talked it through with dc tonight and seemed to have an understanding about what criteria we will be making the judgement on. As an atheist I'd rather the better school was non denom but will compromise on that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now