Lawrence Sheriff/Ashlawn Schools, Rugby

(11 Posts)
BellsaRinging Sat 17-Oct-15 19:21:13

Wise Mumsnetters, I am hoping for some advice on the above. Unexpectedly ds has got a mark in the 11+ which means that he might get into one of the above. If we applied then he would be very much on the borderline, and a number of variables mean that he might not get in anyway.
Do any of you have experience of the above schools? It's a bit of an unknown for us, having pretty much settled on a school on the basis ds wouldn't 'pass'! I have to bear in mind that if he did go then he would be at the lower end of the ability, and I am unsure what effect that would have on him.
He is a happy, sociable boy, likes sports, science and english. Not as good at maths. Also is dyslexic, so would need support there. He also has a tendency to be easily distracted and needs strong discipline.
Any views would be appreciated-I would like to know the good and bad. Part of me just says go for it, however, our alternative is good too, and perhaps better suited for ds.

WildStallions Sat 17-Oct-15 19:24:16

You would need to talk to the SENCO to see if you were happy at what support for dyslexia they offered.

That might make your decision easy.

Silvergran68 Sun 18-Oct-15 12:25:29

You may need to bear in mind that the Sheriff has a totally grammar school entry but Ashlawn is mixed entry with some grammar school places. If I remember it's one form in four.
I suggest you visit both schools, during a school day if possible so you can get the 'feel'. Also ask to speak to the school Senco about dyslexia support.

Mamia15 Sun 18-Oct-15 13:07:01

Both schools are very different so it all depends on what you are looking for.

Sheriff is totally grammar, all boys school with a strong focus on sports and are very good at providing extra curricular activities. It is small compared with other secondary schools. They have boys with special needs including dyslexia - as far as I am aware they seem to cater well for them but you would need to check this out with SENCO.

Ashlawn also enjoys a good reputation, is mixed sex but it is huge and does not have the same focus on PE and sports.

Second the idea to visit both schools to get a feel of how these would suit your DC.

BellsaRinging Mon 19-Oct-15 07:13:17

Thanks for all your help-looks like I will be trying to arrange visits to both this week. Luckily it's parents evening too so I can get an idea from his current teachers what they think will suit him.

portico Wed 21-Oct-15 07:17:12

LSS has issues around bullying, and not much of a pastoral atmosphere. Visit the school and ask a few probing questions. I would never send my children there. Ash lawn is a better bet.

Mamia15 Wed 21-Oct-15 14:04:02

I personally know several boys at LSS and none of them have complained of poor pastoral care. However, this is not to say bullying never happens at LSS which would be unrealistic and I do know that such incidents are usually taken seriously and properly investigated.

BellsaRinging Sat 24-Oct-15 08:10:37

Thanks again for your input. I'm very torn in that I think instinctively that ds would be better at Ashlawn, but it transpires that he can't get there (no bus, other children to get to primary school) whereas LS is a possibility, as there is transport available.

We have seen LS and ds prefers our other state option, but it's very difficult to turn down the potential opportunity of a place.

Having said that, I do know a mother with a boy unhappy at LS, along with another very happy with it. Unfortunately, I think ds has a lot in common with the first boy. Whilst I'm not concerned that ds will be or become a bully (simply doesn't care about peer approval that much!) I am a bit concerned about the pastoral care aspect. I wonder how they will deal with learning difficulties in real life, especially when I assume that they don't have a great number of children who have them...

Will have to make a decision this weekend, so am going to have to sit down with ds and have a good talk!

Mamia15 Sat 24-Oct-15 08:49:56

I can see how torn you must feel - I would go with your instincts after visiting the school and speaking to the relevant people there.

Barbarasmum Sat 24-Oct-15 08:58:12

Sheriff was brilliant for my son - bright but lazy, loved sports. Never heard of any bullying incidents (he left two years ago) and the SENCo then was great. Ashlawn is HUGE and I've heard reports that those at either end of the ability spectrum are well catered for, but those in the middle are rather left to their own devices. Enjoy your visits!

fruitstick Sun 16-Oct-16 09:07:21

Can I revive this thread? We now have to choose between the two.

I thought DS might be borderline but he passed easily so can take his pick.

Instinctively, I think Ashlawn is a better for for him but struggling with turning down opportunity for LSS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now