is this a maths gcse or not ??

(22 Posts)
jellyhead Wed 26-Aug-15 09:56:01

Ds1 sat two maths exams
Application of maths which he got a C and methods of maths which was a D.
At college enrolment last week they were confused if this was a maths gcse on its own or if he needed to have passed both to have a maths gcse.
Resits were hinted at.
His school haven't returned my calls to ask them .
Anyone able to help ?
Thank you

noblegiraffe Wed 26-Aug-15 10:04:58

Didn't you post this last week?

"Both qualifications must be covered to complete the KS4 Programme of Study. It's not possible for students to choose one of the pair. It can count towards school performance indicators if a student achieves a C grade or above in one of the pair of exams.

www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/gcse/methods-in-mathematics-9365/why-choose

If the league tables recognise it as a C, then the college should accept this.

jellyhead Wed 26-Aug-15 10:22:59

Thank you I did post it and you answered in the teenager section.
I am hoping that in secondary education I may receive a few more answers as although you think it is clear his college do not.
I haven't been able to clarify it with his school as there is no answer to messages left.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 26-Aug-15 10:25:14

Does it relate to the course he wants to do at College? Is it a Science course?

TheFallenMadonna Wed 26-Aug-15 10:26:01

Have you shown the College noblegiraffes' slink?

DoctorDonnaNoble Wed 26-Aug-15 10:27:31

Noble giraffe knows what she's talking about on this stuff. Show the college the link.
Whether maths is relevant to course is now irrelevant. Everyone must keep going with English and Maths until they get a 'good pass'.

jellyhead Wed 26-Aug-15 10:30:42

No he is doing a business course.
The requirement is maths and English gcse.
I've spoken to 3 different people at the college including the one who checks their qualifications and they don't know.
I am a little stressed as he got a G in his maths mock and we spent the last year pulling him up to this level with tuition groups and a private tutor. Facing it all again is daunting to say the least

TheFallenMadonna Wed 26-Aug-15 10:32:15

I asked about the course because Methods might be considered important for Science courses by some providers, and I wondered if that was why they wanted both at a C. I know about maths resits. I also think it's more likely that they're just unfamiliar with the linked pair.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 26-Aug-15 10:33:33

This is about the re-sit requirement then. If it counts for league tables it counts. Have you sent them the link?

jellyhead Wed 26-Aug-15 10:34:40

I don't think the link is clear.
It says they are paired which is why I think the college think both have to be passed

noblegiraffe Wed 26-Aug-15 10:36:23

Both have to be entered for it to count. If you only entered one and got a C, that would not count as a maths GCSE.

The government says here:

"Mathematics measures – mathematics ‘linked pair’
Pupils need to take, and achieve a grade, in both qualifications (methods and applications). The highest grade then counts in performance measures. So a C in methods and a U in applications means the C counts as the maths result for performance tables purposes. We are not changing this position, provided the pupil does not retake either of the qualifications."

www.gov.uk/government/news/changes-to-early-entry-at-gcse

jellyhead Wed 26-Aug-15 10:44:31

Thank you.
That's a bit clearer

Charis1 Wed 26-Aug-15 11:13:27

If the league tables recognise it as a C, then the college should accept this.

There is no "should" about it at all.

Colleges accept what they want to accept, they make their own decisions and judgements, independently , based on their own records and experiences.

They are under no obligation to accept anything,

Personally, if this individual was sitting in front of me in enrolment,I would not be accepting this as a maths GCSE.

If his other GCSEs were acceptable, he would still be on his course, but also in a maths GCSE retake class.

noblegiraffe Wed 26-Aug-15 11:14:04

Well done to your DS for going from a G to a C, that's amazing progress! smile

DoctorDonnaNoble Wed 26-Aug-15 11:15:53

I'm not well up on Business courses (we don't do them), but I would assume they have Maths in them and would probably recommend a resit.
But Charis does have a point about the college deciding entry requirements. It does however sound like they needed more info in this case. I'd never heard of these courses.

noblegiraffe Wed 26-Aug-15 11:18:38

The college are under no obligation to accept the C for their own personal entry requirements, but the student is not required by the government to resit as the government count it as a GCSE pass.

I imagine that the college is worried about the government requirement.

Did you see the news last year where a college had to transport bus loads of resit students out to a barn to resit their maths GCSE as there were so many of them? I can't imagine colleges adding students to their resit classes who don't need to be there.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 26-Aug-15 11:20:40

Aren't there two separate issues here? The entry requirements for a course, and the requirement to re-sit Maths/English if you don't have a C. Which is the College's concern? Are they looking at the course plus a re-sot, or not allowing entry to the course?

TheFallenMadonna Wed 26-Aug-15 11:21:02

X post with noblegiraffe....

noblegiraffe Wed 26-Aug-15 11:24:04

The college would need to be careful if they tried to refuse entry to the course because their published entry requirements are maths and English GCSE. The student has met the published entry requirements, and there would be grounds for a complaint if the college tried to amend their requirements after the fact to discount something which the government counts as a pass in maths but the college is not convinced by.

Charis1 Wed 26-Aug-15 11:30:08

The student has met the published entry requirements, and there would be grounds for a complaint if the college tried to amend their requirements after the fact to discount something which the government counts as a pass in maths but the college is not convinced by

I don't think that is a problem.

At one stage there were thousands of courses that counted in the league tables, but were ignored by colleges. Thankfully, that number has gone down but the principle still remains. Its up to the college. And the employer. And the university. etc etc

I would certainly retake maths GCSE, or this qualification is going to be queried at every stage in his career.

TheFallenMadonna Wed 26-Aug-15 11:35:32

That was why we didn't do the linked pair in my school...

jellyhead Wed 26-Aug-15 17:45:52

I didn't realise it wasn't that common so expected a few others to be in this situation.
The head of maths at ds1 's school answered my email today.
He said it is a maths gcse grade C.
I guess the decision is with the college though.
He did work amazingly hard noblegiraffe and achieved more than we dared hoped for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now