6th form indie

(9 Posts)
shalom1 Thu 13-Aug-15 10:42:24

hi all
My DD is going to year 11 in September. we are presntly looking at 6th form colleges fro her. Does anyone have any good independant colleges/schools in the london area- inner and outer.

She is sporty and musical and academic. She wants to do the sciences for A levels.

Thanks

scatterthenuns Thu 13-Aug-15 10:51:07

Whats the budget?

horsemadmom Thu 13-Aug-15 10:52:58

Shalom, Shalom1.
Where is she now and how academic? Private, state, religious?

Nl2015 Thu 13-Aug-15 11:36:23

Hi there, all views much appreciated. Middle child left Emanuel after gcse and has just done his AS at Esher. Not gone great and wants to repeat. Any thoughts on a good sixth form for the not hugely academic? Thanks

shalom1 Thu 13-Aug-15 12:26:18

Scatter- we are looking at trying for scholarship-
Horse- she is at private at the moment- she is a straight A student.

LIZS Thu 13-Aug-15 12:28:45

But typically scholarships aren't of much cash value. Assuming that what £ can you afford to pay? GDST schools are good value if you are happy single sex.

scatterthenuns Thu 13-Aug-15 14:03:51

Well if money was no object, I'd choose Westminster!

Millymollymama Thu 13-Aug-15 15:01:29

6th form places usually available at Queenswood, Hertfordshire (girls), (very, very sporty and good music), various girls' schools in Ascot, Wellington College, Stowe, Cheltenham Ladies College; most places recruit into the 6th form unless you are very choosy. Scholarships for 6th form are pretty competitive, and worth next to nothing, at lots of schools. I had an A* student and nothing is guaranteed because everyone else is A* for everything too! Bursaries for low income families are worth far more.

isittoomuchtoaskforsleep15 Sun 16-Aug-15 23:16:57

My DD (at a state school) is also going into year 11 this year.
We're thinking of
NLCS
Habs girls
Channing
CLGS
SPGS
But DD would apply for a bursary as well as a scholarship...
What about Brampton College in Hendon - apparently it does well?
There are some state schools that do well though such as Henrietta Barnett.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now