Reward for completing GCSEs?

(53 Posts)
thunderbird69 Tue 23-Jun-15 12:46:09

Is anyone giving their child a reward for completing their GCSE exams? (Or A levels)

We had said to DS previously that we wouldn't reward results as we saw potential problems; if he tries hard but doesn't get the grades he hopes for it seems unfair to also miss out on any reward. So we were looking to reward effort instead.

However, we never came to any conclusion as to how we would do that!

dingit Tue 23-Jun-15 12:51:39

My dd has been rewarded with day trips out. Tomorrow we are off to see Wicked, she has trips planned with her boyfriend/friends. Friday is her prom, Saturday she's having a small party in garden, pizza and fire pit to burn her revision notes.
Then we are off to California for 2.5 weeks. When we know her results there will be a shopping trip for new clothes ( business wear for sixth form)
I think she will get enoughsmile

IrianofWay Tue 23-Jun-15 12:54:39

DD has worked incredibly hard - she has been revising every day since the beginning of year 11. In fact she has been a hard worker and model student throughout secondary school. She wanted some guinea pigs - which she now has. It was important to reward the effort not just the results - if by some chance she doesn't get the results that are expected it won't be for lack of trying.

stayathomegardener Tue 23-Jun-15 12:59:52

DD had mini shopping treats after each exam, new douvet set etc
A Michael Kors back pack for college.
£100 unexpectedly at the end just because and a surfing holiday to Portugal the week before results with DH myself and two school friends.
Plus plenty of fun time now with friends.

She feels very rewarded.

Theas18 Tue 23-Jun-15 13:01:41

We took the biggest 2 away on a city break. Haven't managed that with dd2 but hope to

Important to us its reward for effort not results.

stayathomegardener Tue 23-Jun-15 13:03:20

Love hearing how others are rewarded.

TeenAndTween Tue 23-Jun-15 13:06:54

We've had:
Small (£2-£3) treats after every exam
Lots of praise
Meal out at the end
Us paying for everything to do with prom £££
Being allowed to get up late and watch films in the morning

Thingsareontheup Tue 23-Jun-15 13:10:45

Bloody hell! I'm all for rewarding children's achievements but some of this is unbelievable, it'll be ponies and bmw's next (for when they turn 17 and can actually drive, obviously)

bigTillyMint Tue 23-Jun-15 13:11:57

She has lots of nice stuff planned (and some done already), big family summer holiday and city break with me (partly for my 50th) in October - all rewards for effort. Hopefully we can go out for a meal to celebrate her results and she will need new clothes for sixth form too.

thunderbird69 Tue 23-Jun-15 13:16:05

Thanks for the replies, they all sound great!

Unfortunately our DS isn't interested in going on any family meals/outings or shopping and didn't even want to have friends round for a BBQ. Also doesn't have a prom.
I think he just wants money for bus/lunch so that he can go and meet up with friends in town.

AccordingToOurRecords Tue 23-Jun-15 13:18:28

I've promised DS he can have a party to celebrate with his friends when they get their results. They are all very bright so not sure how much effort they gave really. I'll do food then leave them to it, I really do not want to be there. DS 1&2 will supervise (21 & 19) it's worked fine in the past.

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 23-Jun-15 13:29:06

DD2 was hospitalised in the middle of her exams so is very apprehensive about results. She is currently celebrating the end of exams with her friends by having a BBQ in the garden. We cannot fault her effort and determination during her exams - she was bloody brave (revising English Lit while having a lumbar puncture for example) and she has received tonnes of praise from people that know her and the lovely ladies on the GCSE support thread. When she finished her exams I took her on a little shopping trip to buy stuff she needed - a bit of makeup and a new dress for a family celebration and treated her to lunch.

We'll have another trip after results to buy office wear for sixth form and we'll have a family meal to celebrate.

I'm making no apologies for rewarding her for that.

HSMMaCM Tue 23-Jun-15 13:47:41

We rewarded DD with a young drivers driving lesson. She loved it.

dingit Tue 23-Jun-15 13:49:05

Woolly, your dd certainly deserves it.

If my post sounded grand, it wasn't intended. The trip to wicked is to make up for a trip with school dd had to miss due to some horrendous bullying at the the start of year 11. We live close to Londonso dd has gone up to covent garden with bf today.
Shes doing two trips to south coast which are ££ by the time you've paid train fare, food etc.

Our holiday is not a reward as such, it's our fuck it life's too short holiday, and just happens to coincide with the end of exams.

As for the new clothes, dd has nothing deemed suitable for office wear smile

mrsdavidbowie Tue 23-Jun-15 13:53:23

Yes.. dd and ds have had a levels and GCSE s.
They've worked hard and had a divorce to contend with.
I will give them £100 each after results.

I was given money in 1976 for doing well.

hellsbells99 Tue 23-Jun-15 13:57:39

I bought both DDs a nice piece of jewellery at the end of Gcses and DD1 at the end of AS. Pandora bracelet for one, watch for another (£60). The reward was to say well done for working hard and not based on results. I also gave them money for a meal out with friends. 1 of DD2's friends was given a £100 for each A and A* grade shock.
For DD1's A levels this year, we have bought her ticket for the leavers do and dress (£40 - much cheaper than a prom dress!) and hopefully will be taking her shopping for things like plates and pans after results day......

TheWoollybacksWife Tue 23-Jun-15 13:57:51

Both DDs would love a trip to see Wicked Dingit. Would your DD recommend it? I may throw that in to the reward package too. DD1 is waiting for one last exam result to confirm her degree classification so there will be some rewards going her way too.

Fully agree with the fuck it life's too short philosophy too - my dad used to say "There's no pockets in shrouds" - as long as you can afford it, why not? Your DD has come through a very trying time too.

<<feeling bolshy>>

bigTillyMint Tue 23-Jun-15 13:58:42

Woolly, your DD deserves a medal for being so brave!

Dingit, same here re our summer holiday!

starfish4 Tue 23-Jun-15 14:10:13

If you think he'd prefer money, then maybe that's the way to go. If you want to do something with him, do you think he'd going bowling with the family?

dingit Tue 23-Jun-15 14:14:22

Woolly, Wicked is great, it's the story about the witches before the Wizard of oz, and why one is good, and the other bad. Great music, some great humour.

MadAsgardian Tue 23-Jun-15 14:16:02

We are going to treat DD before results. Not sure what the treat will be but we are rewarding how much hard work she has done and how well she kept herself motivated.

HSMMaCM Tue 23-Jun-15 14:43:39

I confess we will be giving a small cash reward for results, as a precedent has been set elsewhere within our family and led to expectations from DD. However, if she doesn't get a grade and has clearly put the effort in for that subject, she will be rewarded for the effort (breaking from the tradition we hope to end with her as the last grandchild). She had had a totally rubbish year and spent a lot of time outside school in hospital, so if she gets some extra spending money, to treat herself, then that's fine.

mrsdavidbowie Tue 23-Jun-15 14:59:38

Wicked is great!!!

ArabellaRockerfella Tue 23-Jun-15 21:28:49

We gave a reward for effort put in before and during the exams. We gave her an i-pad before the results were even out because she really had put in all the effort she could have done and she got severe tonsillitis during the exams which she soldiered on through. It is all you can ask for really.

ErrolTheDragon Tue 23-Jun-15 21:44:05

DDs reward on the day she finished her exams was that I made a special trip to buy us the steak and Stilton pies she craved.grin

Beyond that - well, we were supposed to be having a fortnightly watersports in Turkey but DH has got a hernia so we've had to cancel. I might see if I can get her a secondhand windsurf board and rig of her own.

The only thing she's been offered as a reward for results is DHs saying he'll dye his hair green if she gets a certain number of A* and then a stripe of different colour for any over and above. Fortunately I don't think that threat promise put her off trying.

Woolly, your DD absolutely deserves some treats for her terrific attitude in adversity. (So do you imo)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now