After school detention

(17 Posts)
wendysingleton74 Tue 09-Jun-15 22:18:34

Need advice please.....My son came home from school ( Academy) yesterday and said he has been given an after school detention for a tiny bit of green ink, and i mean tiny, ( felt tip pen ) on the front page of his school planner, he also had to buy a new one otherwise he would have to have gone to TRACT, so that would have been 2 punishments, i refused this detention yesterday and the school states that it still stands, i find this a petty thing, the school are saying zero tolerance, the book was damaged etc etc, i still refuse this detention as i think it is totally unfair and unjustified.
Can the school insist that he does this or am i within my rights not to make him do it?

honeysucklejasmine Tue 09-Jun-15 22:21:33

It's likely that they will get him in at lunch time instead. You agree to follow their rules when you send your child to the school. I agree its a bit petty though. If it's as tiny as you say, I wonder anyone noticed!

Is TRACT isolation or the like?

wendysingleton74 Tue 09-Jun-15 22:26:22

Yes, (TRACT is 'time to reflect and act') , an isolation, yes, i did agree to the rules, but i can understand if he swore in class, scratched his name in the desk or other, but i honestly cannot understand where the school is coming from here :/

ButterflyUpSoHigh Tue 09-Jun-15 22:45:16

It does seem over the top for a small mark.

Are you from the Midlands? My friends cousin has the same name as you?

MayPolist Tue 09-Jun-15 22:47:08

Sounds ridiculous.Is this definitely what the punishment was for?

noblegiraffe Tue 09-Jun-15 22:58:12

Parents cannot overrule the school when it comes to detentions. You have no legal right.

If you refuse to let your DS attend, then the school can escalate the sanction, e.g. an internal isolation.

MayPolist Tue 09-Jun-15 23:00:07

Obviously the school cannot detain your child against their , or your will!! But surely it is better than internal exclusion?

wendysingleton74 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:08:19

No, i am from Norfolk.

wendysingleton74 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:09:01

Yes, this is what the punishment was/ is for.

Lweji Wed 10-Jun-15 10:20:31

By refusing the detention you are escalating even more what could be a tiny thing.

Where are they supposed to draw the line? Two dots? Two mm of line? One cm? A full drawing?

I suppose the school is trying to get them before they start swearing and drawing on the desks, by which time you might be forced to pay for a new desk and so on.

I'd be perfectly happy with no tolerance, tbh. And of buying the new planner.

The only times I don't support school punishments are when my child is punished for someone else's behaviour.

ShaynePunim Wed 10-Jun-15 10:45:41

Support the school. You're only making it worse.

starfish4 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:47:15

If it was a genuine accident, after school detention is harsh, but if he meant to do it then the school will probably stick to their guns. My DD's school state that if they issue a detention it's final and that parents are expected to accept their decision and re-arrange transport home if necessary (ie no allowances for school buses).

Is he in Year 7? My DD's school seemed to come down hard on them in Year 7 - she got two after schools - one was her fault, the other she'd misunderstand what she needed to do in class. Neither were as bad as she thought, one told her to read (so she got out a book she had to read for homework!) and the other the teacher basically gave her a personal lesson on where she'd gone wrong with her work.

EvilTwins Thu 11-Jun-15 22:56:31

Schools do not have to seek parental permission or approval for after school detentions.

MayPolist Fri 12-Jun-15 22:50:47

I would have just told my kid that to give a detention for a dot on a planner, the teacher must be barking mad.But to just go along with it for an easy life!

Thymeout Fri 12-Jun-15 22:59:23

Did he maybe make the mark in his book immediately after being told not to?

I think there may be more to this than he is letting on.

tiggytape Fri 12-Jun-15 23:39:03

Can the school insist that he does this or am i within my rights not to make him do it?
You have no right to refuse it. The school can enforce the detention whether you agree with it or not (and even if you specifically disagree it in fact).

This is because obviously a lot of parents would bust their child out of detention if they could and then the school would not have the authority to issue the same sanctions fairly to all pupils.

Many schools have zero tolerance and detentions for this and other things that seem trivial - forgetting an item of kit or weraing the uniform incorrectly. The school don't want the pupils defacing their planners. If they allowed small amounts of ink on some planners, then that whole rule is out the window so they crack down on it.

tiggytape Fri 12-Jun-15 23:44:38

Link here about detentions and discipline:

It emphasises: "Schools don’t have to give parents notice of after-school detentions or tell them why a detention has been given"

Most do of course out of courtesy but they are very definitely telling you not asking you. If you believe that they have not followed the school's behaviour policy though, you could query this. Equally if the incident is not as it seems (another pupil put green ink on the planner to get DS a detention as a form of bullying him for example) then you should also let the school know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now