Started new school today. Just got this text

(19 Posts)
Pipistrella Mon 01-Jun-15 13:01:11

Ds is 12 and started in a new school today (we moved house, he's been HE for a term)

Just got a text from him. 'Hi Mum its been Ok so far but I got punched but I'm Ok now and we have had a fire'

grinhmm Not sure how to feel about that. Have texted back saying bloody hell, punched on purpose or accident> also what did you set fire to.

Poor lad. Should I ring school? (think prob not)

stayathomegardener Mon 01-Jun-15 13:03:39

Oh dear, poor you.
At least DS still sounds cheerful.

Pipistrella Mon 01-Jun-15 13:04:27

Yes not sure about cheerful, I got another one back - 'on purpose but guy has been excluded and I'm Ok.'

Fuuuuck. What sort of place have I sent him into?

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Mon 01-Jun-15 13:06:33

Oh dear. Id probably call and find out what has gone on.

spillyobeans Mon 01-Jun-15 13:06:36

Bit of a crazy day!

BackforGood Mon 01-Jun-15 13:06:40

shock

See, this is one reason when I hark back to the old days when people couldn't communicate with you throughout the day - you wouldn't have all these hours to worry, but would be able to get all the details the first time you know anything about it.

Hope he's OK.

Pipistrella Mon 01-Jun-15 13:14:11

He's Ok. I rang school and got the very lovely reception lady. She said it was a punch on the arm and quite random, I had visions of ds knocked out on the floor grin She said he cried and they have put the lad in isolation and will ring me when they know what they're going to do to him.

I think it sounds really minor and ds can get upset about little things, so hope he hasn't got this kid into massive trouble over nothing.

No word about the fire...the mind boggles...!

thehumanjam Mon 01-Jun-15 13:17:38

You hope he hasn't got the kid into trouble? The kid got himself into trouble when he decided to punch your son.

I hope your son is ok. What a worry for the first day.

Pipistrella Mon 01-Jun-15 13:20:39

No I mean, it doesn't sound like the sort of punch that can hurt someone. I don't want ds to get a reputation as someone who makes a big fuss iyswim? He is over tired and was extremely nervous so he would probably have cried at something or other.

If it had been a full on left hook I'd have been straight down there.

Pipistrella Mon 01-Jun-15 13:27:28

Had another phone call - kid is in Y7, has been put in internal exclusion for a week and parents called in hmm She said they are taking a hard line on it because it was unprovoked.

Ds is being 'looked after' by other kids in the class. Maybe the kid is a bit of a wild one and has form, or something.

I feel a bit weird - they obviously thought I would go nuts as it's his first day but I'm not really like that. Anyway will ask ds later for details.

tiggytape Mon 01-Jun-15 13:49:25

Oh dear but at least he sounds like he isn't to upset by it all and that the school are good on dealing with these issues (all schools have such issues it is just some schools are better than others at clamping down on them).
Fingers crossed the fire was minor and sorted out too!

thehumanjam Mon 01-Jun-15 13:51:19

I guess he probably does have form. It's good that the school are taking it seriously, zero tolerance is the only way to go with physical violence. You are supposed to make the new kid feel welcome not hit them!

FuckyNell Mon 01-Jun-15 13:52:23

I like his style grin

Pipistrella Mon 01-Jun-15 18:39:45

Got an update/details from Ds now.

Apparently, he was talking with some new friends of some friends he'd been to primary with, and had just been introduced to, and one of them approached him and did some sort of joke thing to him and Ds said something daft and meaningless, (just the sort of random crap kids say, and this kid overheard him and thought he was being offensive, which Ds totally wasn't (it's not an offensive phrase) and came up to Ds and said 'what did you say about ..' and Ds said I wasn't talking about you , and the kid just belted him in the stomach.

Ds said it was too fast to defend himself, and it did hurt quite a lot, and immediately the other kids defended him and rounded on the other kid saying WTF are you doing?

No one told anyone until a lesson when Ds started to cry and he told the teacher, who then sorted it out.

Tbh I am glad they have done what they have, as it does sound like it wasn't random, wasn't painless and the kid just decided to hit him.

Plus side is that Ds has suddenly got a hundred friends as everyone took his side!

Downside is, apparently this kid gets the same bus as Ds and has already given him a sarcastic comment on the way home. I wish they had put them together in a room and made them thrash it out till they understood what had happened and were friends - this way Ds won't feel safe on the bus. I'm afraid Ds will come in for further punches or whatever on the bus.

MossyLawn Mon 01-Jun-15 19:31:15

Is it a school bus? If so, then any bad behaviour on the bus can lead to withdrawal of the bus pass on a temporary or permanent basis. Some schools also have bus prefects (reliable students who monitor/ report behaviour issues to staff).

Pipistrella Mon 01-Jun-15 19:39:58

Oh that is encouraging - thanks. I don't like all this - it makes me want to go with him! I've already copied out/coloured in his timetable for him this evening to make it easier to see what he's got (he's dyslexic) and corrected his spelling in his journal... I sort of want to helicopter him 24/7 blush

I hope things settle down a bit. Seems like a bit of a territorial thing going on.

MossyLawn Mon 01-Jun-15 19:58:53

Could you have a word with his form tutor? They will be able to keep an eye on your DS and ask his teachers to be on the lookout for any incidents. This can be done on a 'low key' way, without your ds even being aware of it.

Pipistrella Mon 01-Jun-15 20:31:03

Wonderful - thank you so much. Form tutor was the one who called me and she sounds very sensible so I think she will already be keeping an eye.

Hoping the kid just has some issues and will grow up and out of it before long. Ds is cheerful now he's home and I think he is up for going back tomorrow so that's something! He's also really excited and happy to be with a couple of his friends from primary again - it's like the old Ds is back smile

MossyLawn Tue 02-Jun-15 21:05:01

How did it go today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now