Moving soon but no schools allocated - Council not responding

(10 Posts)
Alwaysconfusedmum Wed 27-May-15 11:32:19

We are due to move in next 2 weeks to our new house in East London from west London but council is refusing to allocate school to my kids. They are saying Exchange documents or solicitor letter are not sufficient, the place cannot be allocated until we physically move to the property. Exchange documents are legal documents, how come it’s not sufficient. Or they said we could apply through our current council and request for transfer of school, which mean they’ll be using our current address to allocate schools, again really stupid procedure.

How are we expected to move without the school? Application process and allocation of school can take up to 3 weeks, are kids expected to stay at home for all three weeks which missing work for all this time.

I have checked the procedure for quite a few other councils, they all accept solicitor letter as proof of address. I have emailed council around 2 weeks ago but haven’t heard back or got any acknowledgement.
I am sure there is something wrong …..can someone pl help??? Do we have any right to demand for the place before we actually move.

Floggingmolly Wed 27-May-15 11:46:34

No, of course you don't hmm

addictedtosugar Wed 27-May-15 11:50:27

Sounds about right.
Move, then get back in contact with the council.

LIZS Thu 28-May-15 08:18:46

Make the application from your current address then update when you have moved. Is it too far for your dc to remain at current school until July?

OddBoots Thu 28-May-15 08:22:39

I think the op double posted this, she was given lots of advice in Legal Matters and I think is now clearer about what can and can't be done.

link to other thread

Springtimemama Thu 28-May-15 08:23:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheUnwillingNarcheska Thu 28-May-15 09:37:19

There was a thread on MN legal about someone not completing on the day they were meant to and asking what the courts would now do.

Yes legally you are meant to complete but sometimes, rarely it doesn't happen. The stance is clear on this you have to have physically moved. My friend had this when relocating.

Her commute would have been 90 minutes each way to keep the children in their current primary school until the new school places were allocated. Luckily she moved just before an Easter 2 week break, so was saved the horrific commute.

Springtimemama Thu 28-May-15 10:28:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MandySweetLikeCandy Fri 29-May-15 18:37:25

Councils don't do anything until they HAVE too. Technically your not there responsibility until your physically in there borough.

There's a shortage of places in London.

Also contact social services as well when you do move will speed up the process. Council is failing in it;s duty to look after the child by providing education.

If had to contact Social Services over my school not willing to give medication to my child. In the end they had to as they were failing my child's well being.

Blu Mon 01-Jun-15 19:55:29

For application purposes residency is the criteria. not ownership - as far as a council knows a parent could be buying a property but not planning to move into it. Schools generally allocate places by distance based on actual residency and you have to live there.
Presumably councils operate in the same way, until you are actually in residence you are not their responsibility.

Apply via your current LA...and hopefully it will all be sorted swiftly enough once you move.

Stressful business!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now