end of year 8 levels

(18 Posts)
goshhhhhh Sun 24-May-15 08:02:02

I try very hard to not do comparisons and encourage. However, I find levels at secondary school confusing. Particularly, the difference between certain subjects I.e.New ones and established (french & maths for example).
Anyway I thought my Dd was doing ok and then she had a friend from a different school over who apparently got a 9c for English. Is this likely? Mine has just gone up a level & I was thinking well done to her!
The main reason I'm asking is she is bright but has developed a tendency to not push herself. I don't want to push too hard but do want her to do ok

BadgersArse Sun 24-May-15 08:09:56

I've taught for twenty years. I've never given a level 9

BertrandRussell Sun 24-May-15 08:13:40

What levels did she get?

Incidentally, why are you confused about differences in levels with new and established subjects? If you've just started a subject you're bound to get a lower level than if you've been doing it for years....

And I would take the 9c with a large pinch of salt.

goshhhhhh Sun 24-May-15 08:26:27

The confusion is that she tells me her level & I think - is that good? Whilst saying - well done. She is expected to do well as she got a hen's teeth academic place & I also don't particularly want to push her too much.
I hadn't put her levels as this isn't a stealth boast - I thought she had done ok. She got a much worked for level 7 (can't remember a,b or c) in English after being stuck at 6 for ages. She left primary as a 6 but figured there was a difference between primary & secondary & being established at that level.

noblegiraffe Sun 24-May-15 08:33:20

Levels in English usually go up to a 7, and the top level in maths is an 8.

If you get a 7 in English or an 8 in maths, you should get top grades at GCSE. Or at least you would have if they hadn't changed the GCSE to make it harder.

BertrandRussell Sun 24-May-15 08:35:31

The trouble is nobody can say whether her levels are "good enough" without knowing what they are!

But yes, a level 7 in anything in year 7 is really very very good. Particularly in a written subject (ie not maths) And I suspect the 9c was bullshit.

The marks to look at, as I'm sure you know, are the effort ones.

goshhhhhh Sun 24-May-15 08:41:34

Well if its effort then......
The reason I asked was I thought on the whole she had done well...then I started to doubt a bit. I know School had talked to her about 2 subjects (she cried) & my lack of obvious push is because they push. For instance the talk was about french where she has so far got a 5 something for listening. I thought that was ok.
I'm not complaining about the school - it is on the whole v good. Her young form teacher was a bit crass about how it was handled.

goshhhhhh Sun 24-May-15 08:43:10

She is year 8.

BertrandRussell Sun 24-May-15 08:47:08

Nope. Still too cryptic to offer an opinion! Sorry I got the year wrong- still really very good in year 8.

What did the teachers who made her cry say to you when you asked them about it?

goshhhhhh Sun 24-May-15 08:54:24

I haven't talked to the teacher yet. It is parents evening soon. Dd is fairly sensitive anyway. The conversation from what I can glean is that she wasn't doing as well in classwork in French & Latin and not on track for level 8s at the end of year 9 .
On talking to dd - she has a student french teacher and doesn't like their teaching style...with Latin I could quite work it out. She is likely to drop Latin. She currently wants to do something in fashion & I have to try not to be my mother & say it isn't academic enough.
Ok - I do think she did well & she hasn't got all her results back yet .. & I don't know sub levels (can't remember)
History 6
Geography 6
French (part) 5
English 7
Maths 8 (c I think)

shinysparklythings Sun 24-May-15 08:54:46

We expect 2 sub levels progress a year at the school I teach in. So if year 6 sats were a 5b we would expect at least 6c end of y7 and 6a end of y8.

I teach a top set year 8 maths and have students working at level 8 but have never given a level 9. I am sure I could give students a test and they could get an level 9, but they wouldn't of mastered all of the content.

goshhhhhh Sun 24-May-15 09:01:22

Thanks that's really helpful.
I suspect dd's friend is inflating. They don't see each other & go to different schools.

goshhhhhh Sun 24-May-15 09:30:31

Don't see each other often!

DoctorDonnaNoble Sun 24-May-15 09:36:36

Many schools don't use the NC levels any more as they officially don't exist. So friend's school could be using a different system.
But on NC levels in English teachers could award level 8 and EP, even though the exam only ever went up to 7, encouraging our students to think English was harder than Maths!

BertrandRussell Sun 24-May-15 09:55:56

"The conversation from what I can glean is that she wasn't doing as well in classwork in French & Latin and not on track for level 8s at the end of year 9"

You don't have to wait for parents evening. You should address this as soon as you possibly can. Too much pressure is as bad as too little..

lljkk Sun 24-May-15 10:06:58

From what yr8 DD says from last week report, 7s are typical in top sets & the highest marks are scraping into 8s, at her school (higher achieving in our area).

goshhhhhh Sun 24-May-15 10:08:52

Good point Betrand

goshhhhhh Sun 24-May-15 10:14:11

The schools might be doing a different system so that's a good point too - I hadn't thought of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now