wwyd - if anything or am I over reacting/being precious?

(23 Posts)
CalmItKermit Tue 19-May-15 21:43:58

Not sure if I'm posting in right place but here goes. Child is gcse yr 11, took a subject last year, achieved A*, only child in set to achieve this. The subject teacher "befriended" child, in no way inappropriately, but in a mentoring kind of way, loaning books, recommending reading etc, and took great interest in child aiming high.

My child has dropped an exam, on informing said teacher the response was that all more pressure to gain A* in teacher's subject. Friend of child pointed out that my child did not need A* to gain entry to college and teachers response was that if my child achieved A* then he had a good chance of a pay rise

Child now wonders who she can trust at school. I am furious.

Not sure why or what I am expecting in replies but just need to get this down.

Millymollymama Tue 19-May-15 22:21:07

All teachers are performance managed. This teacher probably has X number of A* grades to achieve in his class. A good outcome in respect of his targets probably means he gets a pay rise. I would suggest it was meant to be a motivating comment to a child who is obviously bright enough to get A*s.

Personally, I do not see it as a heinous crime. I would be more concerned if your child was coasting and not doing the best they can do. If your child is an A* child why would attaining a lower result be a good outcome even if the college place does not depend on it? I think the teacher was using the appraisal system to demostrate that results do matter to him. What is wrong with that? I think you have overreacted. Why does your child not trust the teacher? That is a bit dramatic in the circumstances.

Millymollymama Tue 19-May-15 22:22:31

Would you prefer the teacher did not care about results?

noblegiraffe Tue 19-May-15 22:34:05

It's more likely that if the child didn't get an A*, the teacher wouldn't get a pay rise. The performance management system tends to punish rather than reward.

Why should the child not be aware of the effect of her lazy underachievement on a presumably liked teacher? It doesn't mean that the teacher's interest in your child's achievement is purely financial.

stayathomegardener Tue 19-May-15 22:36:48

I did not know teachers pay is performance related.
Is this state or Indie?

I think it is a good thing, I wish some of DD yr11's teachers cared that much even if it was for financial gain.
I believe in reward systems anyway.

And regarding trust that teacher was at least honest.

noblegiraffe Tue 19-May-15 22:41:04

Performance related pay is in state schools. It's shit because of exactly the scenario above. Kid decides to aim for minimum target grade for college entry, teacher pays the price.

elephantoverthehill Tue 19-May-15 23:04:33

Performance related pay on the results of 16/18 year olds is a brilliant concept (not). Teachers have to make students perform whatever. Whether the student may be dabbling into drugs, going through massive hormone changes, self harming, splitting up with gfriend or bfriend, getting pregnant etc.etc but as the target grades can be set on KS 2 results, of course that student getting an A* is absolutely achievable. How many other performance related pay jobs are judged on such a fickle set of criteria? I think the teacher in question was being refreshingly honest.

Coconutty Wed 20-May-15 05:48:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pispcina Wed 20-May-15 06:42:06

Why should the child not be aware of the effect of her lazy underachievement on a presumably liked teacher?

Blimey. hmm

Point is I think that this was oversharing on the teacher's part and puts unnecessary and inappropriate pressure on the child to achieve said A*.

Pispcina Wed 20-May-15 06:43:34

Also:

It doesn't mean that the teacher's interest in your child's achievement is purely financial.

What the teacher has said had effectively called this into question

MuttonCadet Wed 20-May-15 06:47:48

Yes teachers get performance related pay, it is supposed to motivate them to get the best out of their students.

Colleges on the other hand come into school and spread the myth that as long as the students get 5 Cs at GCSE they'll be okay. It might get them into a college, but it won't get them to a top Uni post A levels.

BertrandRussell Wed 20-May-15 06:50:27

Could it have been a joke?

Pispcina Wed 20-May-15 06:53:18

that was my first thought I have to admit.

TandemFlux Wed 20-May-15 06:56:04

I think it was probably a joke on the teachers part. She was only telling the truth

Every child has targets, be them A* or D's. The teachers responsibility is to enable each person to reach their target and ideally go beyond.

noblegiraffe Wed 20-May-15 07:06:55

Piscpina is it supposed to be a secret that teaching is a job that teachers get paid to do and they aren't simply teaching the kids for the love of it?

FuzzyWizard Wed 20-May-15 07:12:28

That sounds like something I might joke about... Last year a few of my Y11 class were bright but lazy, I recall telling one super-lazy kid (capable of an A* but working on at an E in Feb/Mar) that if she didn't start working then I would be jobless and homeless next year and she would have to give me her loose change when she passed me on the streets. I was clearly joking but just had to keep pestering her without it being hostile or unfriendly... She got a B in the end. Sometimes kids need to know that you think they are A* material. Yes they'll get onto a levels with Bs but the A*s do make a big difference to university applications. I think the teacher is trying to encourage your DD to aim for the best she is capable of.

Pispcina Wed 20-May-15 07:34:06

That's not quite what I said NG.

Pispcina Wed 20-May-15 07:36:36

And I have known plenty who did it for many other reasons than the salary. I'd have thought that were obvious given the salary, and conditions, and so forth

point being there were plenty of other possible answers to give a student.

I still think it was probably a joke but it's hard to tell without hearing it in person.

sandgrown Wed 20-May-15 07:44:06

I agree Pispcina. I would not teach teenage kids for any money having one of my own who will not work!. I think he was joking.

TheWordFactory Wed 20-May-15 07:47:22

Probably meant as a joke and Luke all the best ones has some truth in it.

At this time of year teachers are using everything in the arsenal from humour to bribery sad.

leccybill Wed 20-May-15 08:08:27

I've got a whole class of reluctant ditherers on the C/D borderline, so my individual pay plus the whole school results headline figures depend on me getting them across that threshold by any means.
Hence extra early morning and after school sessions all year round, and much mithering, contacting of parents, cajoling, humour, flattery, bribery, pep talks, and anything I can think of.
I'd say 70% of them 'aren't bothered ' about the subject. It's been really really hard, in fact pretty impossible and demoralising.

DocHollywood Wed 20-May-15 08:13:47

Furious? Yes definitely an overreaction.

If my child only needed CCC to get into higher ed and the teacher stopped teaching once it was obvious my child would achieve that THEN I'd be 'furious'.

BackforGood Wed 20-May-15 16:41:35

You are completely over reacting. I agree with nearly everyone above - my first thought was that it was a jokey comment in an attempt to motivate without nagging. Totally agree with Milly in the first reply.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now