FP1, Yesterday's Edexcel AS further pure maths, anyone?

(34 Posts)
ancientbuchanan Fri 15-May-15 14:53:29

comments?

And views on core1?

And have you seen the last days of Hitler spoof on YouTube?

camptownraces Fri 15-May-15 17:04:11

Which board?

ancientbuchanan Fri 15-May-15 19:28:34

Edexcel

hellsbells99 Fri 15-May-15 19:31:57

DD2 (year 12) did C1 and thought it went well. 2 friends of DD1 (year 13) did Fp1 and said it was 'good'.

ancientbuchanan Fri 15-May-15 22:07:06

Ah. I shan't raise my hopes then.

LimeFizz Sat 16-May-15 15:15:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hellsbells99 Sat 16-May-15 17:17:16

I know the consensus on student room was that C1 was hard if that helps - DD looked after her exam. The mark scheme was also on there. Sorry but don't know about FP1.

ancientbuchanan Sat 16-May-15 17:25:37

Sure And thanks and I see today's Times has picked up the C1. Just wanted the experienced Mnr's view too.

LimeFizz Sat 16-May-15 18:26:36

ancientbuchanan Sun 17-May-15 00:13:11

Sorry was reading the hard copy. Mentioned in one of the opinion bits, Rachel Sylvester? Alice Thomson?

RosieCassMuggins Sun 17-May-15 00:20:42

Hi, ancient - dd and I have a deal not to discuss any of her exams, but I think she may have done C1. No idea if it was Edexcel though - I literally have to keep right out of it. So similarly I have no idea if it was hard.

I could mention in passing that C1 is being discussed on MN however, and she may tell me what her lot say about it. Was the Times view that it was unusually difficult?

Bloody exams, eh. I am glad to keep out of it this time around. She says I make her anxious if I say anything at all; so I don't. grin

ancientbuchanan Sun 17-May-15 00:40:35

Rosie, hi! It was on Tuesday am, I think. People able with Dds seem to gave found it ok; the DCs at ds's school not. And they are good mathematicians but like most boys prob don't revise. Yes, Athens a Times did suggest it was hard.

ancientbuchanan Sun 17-May-15 00:41:16

Athens ? Wtf. the, not Athens !

JetJungle Sun 17-May-15 07:50:23

Have any of you heard that the C1 paper was leaked before the exam?

Apparently the C2 one was as well (according to Twitter, TSR and my DS maths group's gossip). There is wild speculation that they will sit a replacement C2 paper next week.

My DS says replacement papers are always harder and has started doing regional and international past papers as preparation.

I'm not 100% sure what any of that means, but thought I would pass the info on in case it helps anyone.

Be warned though, this info may cause extra stress and panic in your DCs.

LimeFizz Sun 17-May-15 08:03:04

hellsbells99 Sun 17-May-15 08:08:29

2 years ago there was a cock-up with the C3 paper where most sat the replacement paper which was apparently very hard, but some still sat the original paper which was easier. I hope they don't get the replacement paper.

hellsbells99 Sun 17-May-15 08:13:57

www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3239901&page=140&highlight=Replacement
Someone on student room is saying that C1 and C2 were posted on Twitter.
They couldn't make them resit C1 could they? I assume not.

LimeFizz Sun 17-May-15 08:17:15

hellsbells99 Sun 17-May-15 08:20:31

Hope so! DD2 found the C1 paper good.

LimeFizz Sun 17-May-15 08:20:56

MarionHaste Sun 17-May-15 08:26:42

The C1 Hitler spoof had me crying with laughter and I didn't even sit the thing. Or maybe that was why I was able to laugh at it? grin Poor Jess.

RosieCassMuggins Sun 17-May-15 14:12:09

Oh, dd didn't sit a paper on Tuesday, so I don't think she does that board.

Cock-ups in papers are cruel, although if a paper is hard, then they adjust the marks, I believe - some variation in difficulty is inevitable. But Maths is a funny old subject, because afaik you can mix and match modules and re-sit some, so eventually you can get there. I certainly can't get involved in adding up the UMS points, or I would go mad. You kind of need a Maths A level to understand how the modules add up. And I would never get one. grin

I've heard no rumours about cock-ups at all; hope for every dc's sake they don't have to do any replacement papers - I'm sure the board would do everything it could to avoid that. TSR can be a real rumour-mill.

JetJungle Sun 17-May-15 15:44:56

Yeah, I know that they adjust the grade boundaries and all that if the paper is hard, but I am not sure its enough.
You see, when the questions are very hard it causes my DS to panic and in a skittish state he runs wildly from question to question. grin He wastes loads of time on unnecessary details, focuses on nothing. It basically throws off his entire exam strategy.

He is practising on the harder papers so that he does not get into such a tizz, but just anticipating a harder exam is stressing him out.

Why does this happen so often at Edexcel? And how can they be sure the replacement paper won't be leaked too?

LimeFizz Sun 17-May-15 17:38:48

ancientbuchanan Sun 17-May-15 21:26:37

I agree. Should I tell DS or not? He is supposed to be focusing on economics and Charles l.

Glad it wasn't just me laughing at spoof hitler. Poor Jess indeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now