Suted areas to live...

(4 Posts)
reallyjustme Sat 09-May-15 21:44:41

Hi, I hope you can help. We are moving from Birmingham to Gloucestershire. We need to live within about 10 miles of Gloucester Royal Hospital and in the direction of Cirencester. We have no idea about where to start looking for a house and I am hoping you can help. We have an almost 3 year old son and a 6 month old daughter. We are looking to buy the 'forever house' to see us through junior and senior schools. I was wondering if someone could suggest some areas that we could look at. We obviously care about the state schools, we'd like to be quite rural (I think) but if this is totally out of our price range (approximately £400K for a 4+ bed house is our budget) we would like a small town. Can anyone suggest anywhere to start looking please?

Cheltenham has some good secondary schools, especially in the south and west.
Gloucester has 4 single sex grammar schools which cream off the top 30-40% and make the remaining 'comprehensives' more like secondary moderns.
Cirencester has a couple of secondaries, don't know much about them.

If you want rural, anywhere near Bourton on the Water, therefore getting into Cotswold School (in Bourton) for secondary, is an option. It has a good reputation. Daily commute to GRH may get a bit tiresome, though.

For primaries, there are just too many to give an opinion, but secondaries are more important if it's to be your forever home.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sun 10-May-15 19:20:27

Stroud has a girls grammar not sure on boys

Forgot about Stroud. It has a girls' and boys' grammar, Stroud High and Marling, and some more comps that suffer for having the grammars. Lovely countryside around there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now