Which school - Camberley/ Ascot/ Wokingham etc

(16 Posts)
vcharles Tue 21-Apr-15 14:23:18

Huge thanks to all who already helped with advice)))
I am relocating soon to Camberley, hence just started looking at schools for DS (Year 7 to be). Of course, missed all the entrance exams deadlines, so Royal Grammar Guidford, or Reading Blue Cross or else is a no-go area - at least until 13+ entry.
So for now the idea is to find a school (academically good) where DS could brace himself for a future challenge at 13+ tests)) - not easy as not every one of them makes its way to the league tables.... so looking for your wisdom and experience!
I have emailed a bunch of schools within 10-15 mile radius.
So far, got a 'yes we have places' from:
- Hall Grove
- Woodcote House
- Salesian College
- Yateley Manor
- Bearwood College

If anyone has anything to say about these - I would love to hear your thoughts! And I may have missed a nice school of course, please do let me know)))

halvedfees Wed 22-Apr-15 14:39:40

Eagle House School. My 2 went there smile

Out of your list 2 are secondary schools AFAIK - Salesian and Bearwood. And Bearwood is not that academic.

vcharles Wed 22-Apr-15 15:23:15

Thank you ))) Eagle House reported back saying there are no places for Y7 in September ....
At this stage I am looking for either secondary (missed all the deadlines though), or prep (up to 13/ Y8) so that we can try again for a good secondary later on.

Millymollymama Wed 22-Apr-15 15:24:49

What about Lambrook or Papplewick at Ascot? Any spaces?

grovel Wed 22-Apr-15 15:25:35

I love Woodcote. My DS was at Lambrook (excellent but maybe a bit far from Camberley?). Matches at Woodcote were a real pleasure. Lovely atmosphere. A thoroughly happy place.

halvedfees Wed 22-Apr-15 15:40:43

How recently did you try Eagle House? People only have to give a term's notice, so may have just handed in their notice in the last 4-6 weeks. So if it was before that, try again.

vcharles Wed 22-Apr-15 15:46:52

Two weeks ago, it was full with a waiting list smile)

halvedfees Wed 22-Apr-15 16:02:23

Ahhhh - the wellington effect.....

inthename Wed 22-Apr-15 17:06:11

Woodcote is lovely, friends ds very happy there (though uniform s a ghastly brown and yellow!)
Bearwood has spaces as its being taken over by another group of schools.
Try Lord Wandsworth College, they had spaces when I spoke to them last week

vcharles Thu 23-Apr-15 09:06:29

Looked at Wandworth College website .... fees are higher than other schools(((

vcharles Fri 24-Apr-15 11:55:04

Now Lambrook says they don't have Y7 places ....( oh dear.
So for now,
Woodcote
Salesian
Hall Grove
Yateley Manor
Bearwood

Meatycankles Sat 25-Apr-15 10:48:03

Luckley House in Wokingham is admitting boys into y7 for the first time this Sept. They have a school bus that goes to Camberley. They already have quite a few boys signed up, but would probably be happy to look at a late application from another boy.
Holme grange in Wokingham is going through to age 16 from this Sept too. They already go up to 13.

wedlock94 Sat 25-Apr-15 20:24:52

Have a look at Yateley Manor. Years 7 and 8 are great academically, they really prepare the kids well for common entrance but it is still a really caring environment. I am sure they would still have places.

Tiredbutstillwithapulse Sun 03-May-15 08:09:22

I've got a son at Bearwood - soon to be Reddam House. He's doing really well and is very happy. Lots and lots of change going on which is a bit unsettling but the new owners are very serious about turning it around. They're bringing in lots of academic heavyweights so addressing the perception ( in our experience not reality for our academically- gifted son) of it not being academic.

Mumtogremlins Fri 22-May-15 21:06:34

St Andrews in Woking? I live in Camberley and my boys go there. I know they have places and its a great school. Takes me 15-20 mins to get there so no worse than Yateley or Wokingham

inthename Fri 22-May-15 22:58:10

Bit confused by Holme Grange, their website doesn't seem up to date as only the news section says anything about now going to 16, nothing about the admissions procedure?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now