ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Lady Margaret vs Grey Coat Hospital

(7 Posts)
2Girls2Souls Mon 23-Mar-15 22:16:33

Would hugely appreciate opinions and if possible explaining why .

mrdashwood Tue 24-Mar-15 11:55:39

Not much between them, tbh. LMS used to be more highly regarded but results are down slightly, putting it on a par with GC academically.
LMS had a reputation for attracting affluent, WASP families from Parson's Green area. But I gather now more mixed since a clamp down on its admissions a few years ago. Reportedly, head is about to leave (see previous thread.) Mixed reports re: discipline, with muttering about bad behaviour.
Believe LMS does not set for everything from the get go at 11. Does not do Latin or Greek (GC does both) Gets tutoring at SPGS, in maths, for a minority.
GC dominating headlines due to Cameron effect. His daughter due to start in Sept and daughter of Gove is there. I hear that discipline has tightened as a result. But was always firm due to healthy mix of boisterous pupils. GC historically regarded as a rough school which got v. impressive, not brilliant, results. Used to provoke condescending sneers from indy school crowd in not too distant past. Now sudden clamor to get in includes same middle class cohort, eager to rub shoulders with Tory bigwigs.
I would choose whichever is the easiest journey for DD. If you live near the centre then GC (spoilt for choice re: transport hubs) if west London then LMS.

2Girls2Souls Tue 24-Mar-15 12:27:22

Thanks you mrdashwood .
Personally I love both schools but slightly prefer GC only because , as you mentioned , the languages , DD prefers LM on the other hand because she feels Science is much stronger there but I heard it's taught as one subject so that concerns me a little .
The journey to either School is very easy for us ( 12 minutes to LM , around 20 minutes to GC )
The decision is hard but I hope we can make one very soon .
Thanks again

sickandtiredofitall Tue 24-Mar-15 13:29:05

Hi
my daughter is at LMS and is just about to go into the 6th form, she has had a very supportive and happy school life so far and we are expecting good results.
The head teacher is leaving this year so I don't know how much that will change things but we have always been happy with no problems.
The sciences are taught as one until year 10 when they can do triple science.

Celeriacacaca Tue 24-Mar-15 16:57:15

This may help too www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/2328000-Advice-Lady-Margaret-or-Graveney

2Girls2Souls Wed 25-Mar-15 09:54:46

Thank you everyone .

poppy176 Thu 22-Sep-16 17:49:08

I hope you don't mind me contacting you, but my daughter has started LMS this term, year 12. She is not very happy, is finding it hard to make friends and not impressed by the teaching. Do you have any advice?
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now