Re-sits

(20 Posts)
ChillySundays Sun 24-Aug-14 23:02:30

I have posted on other threads about my DS failing English and I know some of you are in the same situation. There have been comments about re-sitting in November but I have been told there are no re-sits in November and he will have to sit the exam next Summer.
Basically anyone know the situation regarding re-sits?
Thanks

titchy Sun 24-Aug-14 23:14:52

English and maths can be resat in November. All other subjects have to be resat next summer.

ElephantsNeverForgive Sun 24-Aug-14 23:21:31

Can you resit just one paper or do you have to do the whole thing?

DD passed, but got a ridiculously low mark on the writing paper. They seem to have total ignored content and hammered errors. Very cruel to a bright enthusiastic dyslexic. Looks like she should have written something, dull short and error free angry. Having read their report the examiners are totaly in tbe pay of the toad Gove.

ChillySundays Sun 24-Aug-14 23:25:17

Thanks titchy. Are you a teacher? I ask as if he can re-sit in November I wondered if it worth asking for the papers to be sent back so we can see where he went wrong.

Coolas Mon 25-Aug-14 01:48:20

I'm a teacher. Yes, ask for papers to be sent back to have a look and yes the whole exam will need to be taken again not just a section. And no, exam boards don't make any allowances for dyslexia but spellings are only worth 5% at the moment (more in future years). However, controlled assessments can be put forward for the resit, as long as they have been moderated and aggregated.

Hope that helps!

Coolas Mon 25-Aug-14 01:50:16

There are definitely resits in November for English and Maths. The exams are designed for resits (nobody is allowed to take them early in November anymore).

ChillySundays Mon 25-Aug-14 09:46:15

Thanks Coolas. I have had a look at his result sheet and his controlled assessment was a 4 - that doesn't sound very good so maybe he should do a whole year rather than just re-sit. Hopefully I am going to be able to speak to the right people tomorrow

Coolas Mon 25-Aug-14 09:51:03

4?? They actually submitted a controlled assessment with a 4 rather than getting him to do another? That is such a poor mark that he had effectively failed before he walked into the exam room. Definitely ask about that.

ElephantsNeverForgive Mon 25-Aug-14 09:57:35

I wasn't looking for allowances, she gets extra time. I'm just mystified how she can get 51a on the reading paper and 19u on the writing paper taken one after the other on the same day!

Looks like one examiner bothered to work through her spelling and wonky tenses and the other one didn't try at all.

And given that a for reading and 100% on her Chemistry paper, I very much doubt she didn't read the question right.

ChillySundays Mon 25-Aug-14 10:00:39

Again thanks Coolas - am feeling more and more fed up though. I think back to all the 'he'll be fine' at parents evenings - am wondering now whether DS thought what's the point if he knew he had a 4 before the exams. Think I will be looking at him doing the course over a year rather than re-sit.

happygardening Mon 25-Aug-14 12:14:35

My DS1 failed English during the marking debacle in 2012, it the CA that he lost marks on, the school graded it a B and the examiners graded it a D, 2 marks of a C. The school appealed and it was still graded a D, he resat in November 2012 against my wishes as he couldn't redo the CA so I felt he was at risk of failing again and would then have to resist it again and he get very stressed in exams. Any way second time round and exactly the same course work is graded a C 2 marks of a B
The whole thing is a complete joke. I really feel for you and your DS and anyone else in this ridiculous situation.

Olivevoir Mon 25-Aug-14 12:28:14

Are you sure the 4 isn't his speaking and listening grade? The CA can be carried over and it should be exactly the same mark on the resit as they just transfer the already banked UMS marks for CA over. It is only the exam element that is resat (now worth 60% of the final grade since S and L has been removed and reported separately). If the CA is a C grade, then it's well worth sitting the exam in November. If it is less than C, probably not worth it and do a proper year long course so that CAs can be redone and the whole gcse retaken next summer.

ChillySundays Mon 25-Aug-14 14:04:56

Results sheet says grade 4 for unit 2. Have looked at the other units he got E (unit 3) and U (unit 1). A bloody U - surely he must of only written his name. What sort of drivel has he written. It's the AQA board so will be checking what each unit is on their website.
A year's course is definitely in order.
Feeling a bit dim myself for not understanding how everything works. This is my second time round but DD passed everything so not an issue.

Coolas Mon 25-Aug-14 14:38:15

Unit 1 is exploring modern texts; unit 2 is poetry anthology if that helps.

For my DS, who took AQA English Language, Unit 1 was the written exam of 2 1/4 hours, Unit 2 was the speaking and listening unit, no longer counting towards the overall grade and Unit 3 was the controlled assessment, if that helps. DS also scored 4 on the speaking and listening unit, but I have no idea if that was good, bad or indifferent.

Coolas, are you mixing it up with English Lit?

Right, have googled and the speaking and listening unit is graded 1 - 5 with 1 the lowest and 5 the highest. What a shame Gove has stolen this unit. angry

ChillySundays Mon 25-Aug-14 16:23:37

I had to go out so haven't googled so thanks Ellen for doing that. I feel better about his 4. Although it hasn't been counted at least it wasn't a bad mark. So DS got an E in the controlled assessment and U in the exam.
At least I understand it now however bad it is.
Ellen - hope your DS is in a better position than mine!!

DS passed overall, Chilly. It's a shame your DS's controlled assessment was an E. I would have thought they would have let him keep re-doing them until he had achieved at least C to give him a chance of passing the exam. sad I think he may be better off resitting next June as he'll have to redo the controlled assessments and DS tells me he had to to 3 pieces of work for this.

ChillySundays Mon 25-Aug-14 20:02:33

I am finding it difficult to grasp how I can be told everything will be ok when it wasn't.
It's done now and hopefully we will be able to speak to some one at the college tomorrow to sort out a course for him to go on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now