Any good revision guides?

(12 Posts)
Sheppard4647 Fri 11-Jul-14 07:44:38

My daughter has come home with disappointing results at the end of year 8 and I would like to get her some good work to do at home over the holidays. BBC bitesize looks good, does any one know or make a recommendation please? I have asked the school but as they have broken up now I am not sure if they will get back to me!

TeenAndTween Fri 11-Jul-14 10:10:32

Any particular subject?
Is this results in general, or end of term exams that needed to be revised for?

My DD1 is just finishing y10. We found in KS3 that a science book was essential, and something for French was useful too. (I didn't need maths as I can do that myself, and we didn't bother with anything special for other subjects.) A lot of KS3 is about techniques rather than content.

Our local Oxfam bookshop has been a very good source for me for revision guides, that way you can afford to buy more than one for a subject and try them out.

For maths a workbook with loads of questions in is probably useful alongside any guide, I have been using one for DD1 for GCSE, it means you don't have to invent your own questions to practice on.

Otherwise get your daughter to look with you in Smiths. Some guides are very 'busy' which could be great, but my DD finds them confusing, so we go for a simpler, calmer layout.

Hakluyt Fri 11-Jul-14 11:26:41

Have you checked on the school website?

ElephantsNeverForgive Fri 11-Jul-14 11:34:08

CGP, look dull on the outside, but have a sense of humour on the inside and on the back cover.

However, you will be disapointed, no chikd ever works in the summer holidays.

Save the books for christmas and summer internal exams and any HW she cant do.

ElephantsNeverForgive Fri 11-Jul-14 11:34:53

Sorry this tablet doesn't spell check properly.

Sheppard4647 Fri 11-Jul-14 13:32:04

Thank you, very useful. It was really just end of year exams so it might be revision techniques that are needed most. Science was awful so I will definitely have to get her something to improve this!

ElephantsNeverForgive Fri 11-Jul-14 13:43:23

Science needs her to read through it and talk it through with you. If your not a scientist, steal the book first.
Bite size science is good too.

It's not scary it just needs her to get the ideas in the right order and understand them.

Khan academy also have good videos for somethings.

Hakluyt Fri 11-Jul-14 14:12:19

Out of interest, what constitutes an awful result?

TeenAndTween Fri 11-Jul-14 14:26:22

hak - I can answer that. smile An awful result is anything far below what the OP knows her child is capable of. e.g. If capable of a 6a then maybe 2 sublevels below. If capable of a 5c then maybe also 2 sublevels below.

OP - anything you can do to help with revision techniques during KS3 will pay dividends when you get to GCSE.
Also, the lack of text books that can be brought home these days really means imo that revision guides for science (and most GCSE subjects) are pretty much essential.

soggybottom2 Fri 11-Jul-14 14:27:09

My DC will probably do 1 or 2 hours work most days over the holiday, usually just after breakfast, and spend the rest of the day out and about with friends. We will cover any subjects they feel they need more work on. They tell me the topic and I find them the most suitable videos on Youtube. I find Youtube particularly good for maths and science, as if they don't like or understand one teacher's explanation another teacher on the subject generally does the trick. They're not interested in textbooks and guides.

Ericaequites Fri 11-Jul-14 15:18:58

How do teens do homework if books can't come home? I can't imagine studying without textbooks.

soggybottom2 Fri 11-Jul-14 15:44:48

At our school the children don't even get to keep their own workbooks. All workbooks are taken back when full and binned. No books at all for KS3 revision apart from the ones currently in use. I have been known to lose one or two as they get towards the last few pages just so they will have something to show their children later in life if they want to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now