Dd has to do single science igcse award- can someone help me out here?

(36 Posts)
Dreamgirls234 Tue 24-Jun-14 13:49:42

Hi
Following my recent post dd has being placed in a bottom set and they want her to get 2 A*'s rather than fail triple. I am totally not happy with this as my dd has being getting A's A*s in triple science.my question is will she still stand a chance in getting into Oxford/Cambridge to do law? She's obviously very worried as she's heard previously they don't like students who haven't done it. She is now wishing she'd never moved and I'm looking for advice as to how I should help her move on from this? There is a possibility of moving up in November if she does well and gets an A/A*

titchy Tue 24-Jun-14 14:26:49

Your title is misleading. If she's aiming for 2 A*s then she's doing double not single science.

Single would be an issue, but double shouldn't be at all. Several schools don't even offer triple. They'll expect lots of A*s at GCSE and A* predictions at A level and a genuine interest in the subject which she can demonstrate, plus relevant extra-curriculars (debating club type stuff) but as she's not even contemplating a Science degree I can't see the problem.

Is she Oxbridge material?

LIZS Tue 24-Jun-14 15:57:01

ds has done double , no problem for uni afaik unless he wanted a scientific degree course. How old is she , dc school doesn't make the decision until last term of Year 10

Dreamgirls234 Tue 24-Jun-14 16:47:45

Hi all
Her school don't do double it's single award?! Because last time her set for science was decided parent had to attend a meeting and it was double award but at her current school it's definitely not double they do single. They have told her she is Oxbridge material and other people have in the past.she would like to do a second degree in psychology as well as law. She is just gutted tbh as she has worked so hard for 2 years at triple standard to come down to a bottom set.

LIZS Tue 24-Jun-14 16:52:33

Double is one "award" but you receive 2 GCSE grades, triple is 3 separate GCSEs.

titchy Tue 24-Jun-14 16:59:24

As others have said it maybe one award, bit it's worth 2 gcses so IS double. Hence why they said she'll get AA (ie two grades) not one.

Dreamgirls234 Tue 24-Jun-14 17:02:12

I know what they are. It if it's igcse they called it singular award and then triple. She's just gutted and I've booked some tutoring for the holidays so she will be more confident for the November exams as she will find them easy as it's work she already covered.

LIZS Tue 24-Jun-14 17:14:27

I won't argue further but AQA, Edexcel and Cambridge offer double science or individual science iGCSE awards.

titchy Tue 24-Jun-14 17:33:47

So why does the school give you two grades not one...? One award = 2 gcses.

fubbsy Tue 24-Jun-14 17:37:08

It's the A levels and grades that matter to universities, GCSEs are less important. They want to see the candidates have done a range of subjects at GCSE.

It's great that she feels motivated to work hard and try for Oxbridge. She has a chance if she does the work and gets the grades. The admissions tutors know that pupils have limits on their choice of subjects.

BeckAndCall Tue 24-Jun-14 17:38:39

We can't understand what you're saying OP.

Is your daughter now studying just one subject of biology, chemistry and physics or is she still studying all three?

If it's all three, then she must be doing either double science or 3 x single sciences. Unless it's an exam board none of us have ever come across.

If it's either 3 x single awards or the double award, it won't matter for Oxbridge entry

TeenAndTween Tue 24-Jun-14 18:05:29

You can of course do 'core science', comprising a bit of each science, but then you would get only 1 grade.

In your op you said they want her to get 2 A*'s rather than fail triple which does rather imply she is doing a double award, equivalent to 2 GCSEs.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 24-Jun-14 20:16:30

I was about to come on and say I didn't think you could do Single award in IGCSE but after a quick google it seems you can - maybe it's this?

www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-science-combined-0653/

That would be one IGCSE, so only one grade. I think the confusion has come because in your post you said "they want her to get two A*s" - which would be dual award.

What has led the school to decide to move your daughter to the bottom set? What year is she in? How many sets are there? We need more information really to give constructive advice.

MillyMollyMama Tue 24-Jun-14 20:17:55

You would never "fail" triple but be capable of getting 2 x A*s for the double award though - would you? That is rubbish. The triple is an extension of the double. An Oxbridge student is unlikely to be so poor at a few extra exams that they go from A*s to fail - surely? Presumably the school think it would be Bs. Sometimes when children move school, there are more gifted children in the new school than the previous one. As long as this is the double award it will be fine.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 24-Jun-14 20:22:33

MillyMolly I agree - the triple is not harder than the dual, there is just more of it. If you were A* for dual you'd be A* (or maybe A) for triple too.

Seems strange that the school seems to offer Triple, or single, but not dual - which is by far the most popular option.

goinggetstough Tue 24-Jun-14 21:49:12

According to the school website I think Dreamgirls DD attends they do the AQA double award IGCSE. The majority (D1,D2) do these exams at higher level, D3 do it at foundation I presume and the T group do individual sciences as a fast track subject It also says that the double award does not stop a student doing science A levels. Plus that sets may be changed for a very few after the November exams. ( this was from their 2014 exam information)

In answer to the Oxbridge question my DD did core and additional science rather than triple as she was a linguist. She gained A*s in both and had a Cambridge interview. On her debrief she was told that her GCSE exams were above what was required, and although she didn't get a place that was for a different reason entirely. So just make sure your DD gets the best GCSE results and then A level results and she will be in with a chance!

Apart from being upset about the science I hope she is settling into her new school.

Dreamgirls234 Tue 24-Jun-14 22:46:35

Hi

The school website info has changed due to this year group being extremely small so there is only 3 sets T then high bottom and then bottom. Dd has being placed in high bottom with a view to be moved up in November time if she gets the right grades. What's more frustrating is she has being doing triple for 2 years and is capable of the work load. To answer another question she is In year 9 but should be in year10. If all else fails I will just pay for her to do it outside of school!

MillyMollyMama Tue 24-Jun-14 23:04:26

I meant to say, OP, that it is early days in a new school and your DD is possibly going to find ways to wind you up! Saying she should not have gone to the school is putting pressure on you. I think you should find out exactly what GCSEs she is doing and, contrary to rumour, Oxbridge do care about GCSE grades. You really do need the majority (5/6) at A*. They also need to be mostly academic ones. The admissions tutors will expect strong performances in History and English especially but an all round strong performance is essential for Oxbridge.

EndoplasmicReticulum Tue 24-Jun-14 23:08:02

Still confused - she is in year 9 and has started GCSE? But has been doing it for 2 years already? If she should be in year 10 does that mean she's year 10 age?

She has been moved from the top set to the middle one, of three. That's not really "bottom set" - more "middle". They must be doing dual award, surely?

Nowt wrong with dual award, plenty of students go on to do science A levels, medicine at uni, etc. with dual.

Dreamgirls234 Wed 25-Jun-14 07:44:08

She is year10 age endo but has gone down a year to give her a break from all the bullying etc and when speaking to teachers etc they do class that set as a bottom set.
millymollymama
I know exactly what gcses she doing it's not her thing to wind me up. I think in all honesty I wish I'd have started her in September when she would have being setted by her best results this year and not a weeks worth of results that haven't shown her talents off. I know she is doing history geography French r.s the Cambridge English Igcse maths and single award science.--have being told these gcse by the head of academics not just my dd I rang yesterday to check what she was doing. However I think she should look on the bright side and at least when she does her first week of exams she'll have good results as she'll have had more revision time and she'll know all the work. I think they'll get a better picture then won't they?

titchy Wed 25-Jun-14 07:54:37

So why are they telling you she'll get two grades in this single award then?

titchy Wed 25-Jun-14 07:56:26

And she's only doing seven (or maybe 8 if science is two) gcses? That doesn't sound Oxbridge to me at all. Our lower achievers do a similar number.

Dreamgirls234 Wed 25-Jun-14 11:29:53

The children at the school have to pick 4 options my dd has chosen r.s geography history French then they do maths and English then science. My dd did this last year as well in old school she picked the same options so she still had 4 the only difference was she was doing triple science award. I'm unsure now do I pull her out of the school? How many gcses is she supposed to do to be Oxbridge material?

Dreamgirls234 Wed 25-Jun-14 11:33:18

I can't make the school make her do more gcses they do have children from the school who go to oxford and have being there since the little school so obviously Oxford do accept that number of gcses. And dd has spoken to a girl who has being offered a place at Oxford and she did the single award it's called single award but worth 2 gcse. They do not call it double award because of it being IGCSE

Dreamgirls234 Wed 25-Jun-14 11:36:17

Sorry for another post just looked on the internet see the post below www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9221229/The-steep-climb-to-university-starts-with-GCSEs.html and it seems Oxford care more about the grade rather than how many. The gcse curriculum is
4 options
Complusory subjects which are maths igcse English Igcse and science igcse so most pupils do take 8/9 gcse's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now