Hampton Court House School

(14 Posts)
putneylife Sat 14-Jun-14 09:27:51

I'm looking for more up to date experiences of this school as I'm considering it for my son in Y9 after he leaves Prep School. It's quite a leap from the structure of a Prep School to the unstructured and slightly alternative approach that HCH adopts. The sport seems to be lacking, but otherwise I'm getting a good impression - the school seems to nurture the child and with small class sizes and a very improved recent Ofsted report, it seems like a school on the up. Like Harrodian or Radnor House were in their infancy. I'd welcome thoughts/experiences!

Peach007 Sun 15-Jun-14 10:45:25

Hi I am also considering for my DD for Year 4 in September. Any views would be most welcome. Thanks

LikeMumUsedToMake Mon 16-Jun-14 12:33:08

Was it this school that recently announced a radical change of school hours - to reflect teenage desires to sleep in till mid morning?

cakeisalwaystheanswer Mon 16-Jun-14 13:31:11

Yes it was this school, though the cynic in me says the lunchtime start and very late finish for a new 6th form probably has more to do with limited space than anything else.
HSH is not mainstream, it's offering something different and if that's what will suit your DCs go for it. Just don't go and expect a mini LEH/Hampton and then moan because that isn't what you get. I know a few parents who have moved children from HCH because it wasn't what they expected/wanted although the things they complain about are probably the reasons other parents have chosen it. Never was the phrase "horses for courses" so apt.

Peach007 Wed 18-Jun-14 08:56:49

I must admit I loved the general feel of the school. My daughter is going to have a trial day soon so will be able to decide thereafter. Are there any existing parents out there whose DC's go to the school? So few people have heard of the school so first hand experience would be most welcome.

FMNF Wed 18-Jun-14 21:40:51

I would also be grateful to receive any feedback on this school as we are just completing the enrolment process for our son and our daughter. We visited the school and it looked lovely but I am not used to choosing a school based on a visit. At the moment the children go to their local school so we had all the local knowledge before enrolling them. We really need them to maintain their level of French for a future move back to France so any views on the standard of French teaching in the lower years would be really helpful.

yummymum35 Tue 02-Dec-14 15:16:45

Hello all! I was initially looking at a few good schools around the West London area for my DD and saw quite a variety, some were the typical pushy independents whereas others were a more relaxed. Initially I had some reservations but reading experiences from other people I decided to arrange a private tour of the school via the website and I was glad I did because the teachers and the school in general really impressed me. I looked in on some lessons and saw that children genuinely enjoy what they are studying they seemed to have an enthusiasm that I had not seen in other schools. My DD had a trial day which she really enjoyed and she started this September, so far so good, classes are small enough for children to receive the attention they need and teachers are really very good at addressing the needs of the child (unlike her previous school), ballet is part of the curriculum and the arts (music, theatre, dance and the like are very much encouraged) she has made some really nice friends of both genders. My DD has benefited so much from the past couple of months at the school. I was worried about the bilingual aspects but to my surprise she coped very well and the language has not been an issue at all for her despite only having some very basic French before. I hope that helps!

Poisonwoodlife Tue 02-Dec-14 15:47:45

It's infancy predated Radnor by a few years, and it was actually founded by refugees from Harrodian's infancy, and that school has adapted it's approach to be more conventionally academic. Radnor was never anything but aiming to be conventionally academic, just with an aim to develop a USP through emphasis on strong pastoral care and better communication with parents. So I think comparing HCH with those two schools is not comparing like with like at all.

It already has some history, and part of that history has been that pupils tended to end up there after other schools had not worked for them for some reason, either socially or academically. Some were difficult characters. A tutor I knew had a high proportion of business amongst those who then dropped out of HCH as well. However some pupils have also gone on to good sixth forms and universities, albeit accepting it was a unique environment with some unique characters hmm.

However if you buy into the ethos, current parents are happy, then I have no reason to suppose it doesn't do what it says on the tin.

yummymum35 Tue 02-Dec-14 16:10:19

Fair points Poisonwoodlife though I can definitely say that standards are very high at HCH now, no difficult children in my DD’s class. It’s always wise to do a lot of research before making that commitment thankfully I did as I was also considering another independent with a good past history only to find that now things have changed considerably which I experienced by actually visiting the school, speaking to parents and by reading the forum smile

amidaiwish Tue 02-Dec-14 17:32:43

From what I hear the infants isn't great - worth asking to see any teaching qualifications as there 'a been a few issues in recent years though I believe this has been resolved. But the juniors is fantastic.

girlpower27 Wed 10-Dec-14 16:57:05

My DS started in nursery, some initial problems separating from me in the mornings though after around a month this was quickly overcome with the help of the nursery teacher who is very caring. This year he is in reception and again very happy his teacher gives him all the attention he needs and really makes me feel confident to have him participating in concerts and lots of creative activities. Have looked into qualifications and apart from lots of experience teachers are indeed qualified.

Pumpkin89 Wed 17-Dec-14 22:48:58

My DD attends lower yrs. The standard of teaching is pretty poor a lot of parents are pretty unhappy with the school. They do not listen to concerns their business model seem to consist of promising the sky by an accentric sales woman but once they get your money they do not care any more. Very high turnover of kids due to unhappy parents. Regarding qualification I have questioned this in the past and apparently staff recruitment is at the schools discretion - even the head of lower yrs have no qualification in teaching - check their website and read between the lines. all and all the school is pretty scabby - no investment into anything other than their website and beautiful garden. This is not an academic school - if you want your kids to have a good time and no pressure to work hard then this is the right place for that

Mutteroo Tue 23-Dec-14 00:49:13

Pumpkin89, may I ask why you are keeping your child at this school if its so bad? As you're paying a large amount of money, shouldn't you be getting the school that suits your child best? Not criticising, just wondering?

Pumpkin89 Fri 26-Dec-14 16:07:34

well she started there this term and only recently become obvious that this school is nothing what their glorious marketing material leads parents to believe they are about - I will move her from next september

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now