Today's Edexcel GCSE maths... How did it go for your DC?

(29 Posts)
lilolilmanchester Mon 09-Jun-14 14:05:18

Higher tier here..... DD came home thinking it was ok, felt she'd nailed a C possibly a B (she finds maths difficult)but over this afternoon finding she's got lots wrong.how did it go for your DCs (specifically Edexcel higher )

nostress Mon 09-Jun-14 14:41:46

If you look on TSR everyone is saying it was extremely difficult compared to the past papers...

lilolilmanchester Mon 09-Jun-14 15:20:37

Hadn't looked there, will check it out thanks. Keep reminding myself it's a higher paper... Dd needs a C at least, and it's her hardest subject. Fingers crossed

nostress Mon 09-Jun-14 15:24:33

Yep I'm hoping for a C for my DS too. He has managed B in some past papers but he only needs a C. Fingers crossed/good luck!

lilolilmanchester Mon 09-Jun-14 17:18:34

Good luck to your DS too x

Nocomet Mon 09-Jun-14 17:35:12

DD thought it was pretty easy, except the last question (which set two hadn't done). She's says she she made an educated guess.
She's a borderline A so fingers crossed.

Best wishes for all DCs needing a C, hopefully Friday's paper has no hidden surprises.

Fatmanbuttsam Mon 09-Jun-14 17:47:35

After a very tense morning at breakfast dd headed off to do her maths paper as if she was following the green mile.....I was sick with nerves on her behalf and worried she'd bring on a migraine as she was so nervous.....huge relief for me to get a text saying it went better than expected, phew
Roll on paper 2 on Friday and then we are free....

lilolilmanchester Mon 09-Jun-14 17:52:18

Oh bit worrying that others found it easy :-(

Nocomet Mon 09-Jun-14 19:01:39

Talking to DD while cooking it seems there were some long chunks of arithmetic of the sort you need to keep track of.

Because she has awful short term memory, writing everything down and keeping track of things is something she's had to learn to be rather good at.

Re-read the question and don't panic is engraved on her soul.

For maths (and science) the dyslexics inability to rember anything that doesn't make sense is actually an advantage.

PenelopePitstops Mon 09-Jun-14 19:04:11

Teacher perspective it wasn't a bad paper. No surprises and fair questions. It will come to the grade boundaries.

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 09-Jun-14 19:12:33

I read for a boy sitting the Foundation paper. He made most of his answers up. He also drew some unnecessary diagrams and some pictures in the spaces for working out when he got bored at the end.

I know for a fact that he could have done every single question with a little help to get him started. It is so, so, so, so hard watching that happen and not being able to intervene.

Suffolkgirl1 Mon 09-Jun-14 19:17:25

Ds was happy with it, but maths is his best subject and he is hoping for an A*. He thought it was different in style to past papers he had done. To be honest tho, he was much more concerned about the gcse he had scheduled for this afternoon that he doesnt remember much.

Harriet, I read for a student on the Edexcel foundation paper as well. Sooo frustrating. She spent ages on the pie chart, completely wrong. sad There were plenty of easy marks available, though. Not sure what marks are needed for a C on foundation.

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 09-Jun-14 21:04:15

EllenJane - my boy just drew some random lines on his pie chart then abandoned it without even labelling the segments. His response to the "angles in a triangle" question was to just draw another triangle underneath.
I sooooo wanted the invigilator to nod off so I could stage-whisper some hints but I don't think I would have dared even if she'd been flat out and snoring.

Coconutty Mon 09-Jun-14 21:10:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Suffolkgirl1 Mon 09-Jun-14 21:34:18

Just realised that there are two different edexcel maths specifications A and B. Both had paper one today. Spec A has one more exam, spec B two more. So we may not all be talking about the same exam!

Coconutty Mon 09-Jun-14 21:44:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sinningsaint Mon 09-Jun-14 22:20:55

All DD said to me was 'who knew pigs needed 36 metre squared of a field each and old people's houses had to be 20 degrees' grin.

Suffolkgirl1 Mon 09-Jun-14 22:24:40

My DS did spec B.

Molio Mon 09-Jun-14 23:12:07

Ok here I think. 'Easy' apparently. Not that that means much (it's a boy). Jury is out until results.

Molio Mon 09-Jun-14 23:15:04

Oh just read back. DS has three more exams (Friday, Tuesday, Thursday) - no idea which spec.

Ldm380 Mon 09-Jun-14 23:49:05

Hi new here and very stressed out with these exams that DD is taking, she found today's hard, so there was lots of tears. Hope she picks up points with the next one. Normally maths is a strong subject for her, I am putting it down to stress and having to revise late into the evening as her school never gave study leave.

Nocomet Tue 10-Jun-14 00:02:14

DDs time table says Edexcel Linear A.
She didn't mention pigs. She had men and women going to a gym. She said it was a daft question because surely they'd all paid, booked classes and swiped their membership cards and the gym must have known the information they were asked to find out already.

A lot of it did sound like Y8/9 stuff that no one in the real world would do without a calculator. Not 'difficult' just tedious.

Nocomet Tue 10-Jun-14 00:07:30

Ldm how little study leave they've had is ridiculous.
DD is officially on leave last week and this, but she was meant to do science end of last week and this afternoon. She didn't. We went to the garden centre then she did some chemistry.

It's a very mixed ability group and they just keep asking to go over the same stuff again and again.

Ldm380 Tue 10-Jun-14 00:15:58

Nocomet, my daughter is still doing science lessons during the day In-between exams as they haven't finished teaching them the syllabus. It's madness, how can they be that far behind. To make matters worst I have to get onto the school tomorrow as the photography teacher has lost/misplaced the whole classes last paper that has to be presented and asked them to do it again. I am going to complain to ofqual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now