Got a Q for Miriam Gonzalez Durantez? ×

End of KS3 Maths Test

(12 Posts)
gardenfeature Mon 21-Apr-14 09:31:14

DS has one of these coming up after Easter (to help setting for Y10).

Did I read somewhere that the results still have to be reported even though they stopped the KS3 SATS tests?

Is the test likely to be an old KS3 maths test?

I've found some old ones on line and am trying to make him revise. I am guessing (average comp) top set gets tier 6-8, second set 5-7 tier?

Let battle commence!

HolidayCriminal Mon 21-Apr-14 09:51:44

You can persuade yours to revise? Wow, well done. smile Don't think mine did any revision.

DS had something like the same thing the last week of last term, exams across all subjects all week, he claims that all exams were easy. Sorry, we can't remember the tiers, they both seem familiar so I think maybe his practice math papers were one of each. He's in middle-bottom of top set.

HmmAnOxfordComma Mon 21-Apr-14 09:58:10

Ds is currently revising for his year 8 exams and has the Collins level 5-8 workbook (£9.99 one).

He used most of the l6-7 questions last year and is using the l8 questions this year. It's a really good resource that I'd recommend.

Obviously if they give them a Sats style paper there'll be a mix if easier questions too, so worth remembering to go over those too!

noblegiraffe Tue 22-Apr-14 09:25:08

Highly likely they'll be given a SATs paper, although its unlikely to be one of the old ones which are online. Calc, non calc and mental test.

Your DS really should know what level he is and which paper he will be sitting!

The level that is reported is a teacher assessment rather than the actual test level, because the tests aren't externally examined. Usually these are the same though.

RaisinBoys Tue 22-Apr-14 15:02:53

"Your DS really should know what level he is and which paper he will be sitting."

Really?

He should be enjoying learning and hopefully, as a result of good teaching, be making good progress. The ludicrous obsession with levels should be confined to school leaders for reporting and other management processes.

Believe it or not it was possible to assess a child's learning in the days before NC levels.

Hope he does well in the test.

gardenfeature Tue 22-Apr-14 20:28:04

Thanks for your replies.

I was just reading the Foundation/Higher maths thread with interest.

He got a 4c at KS2. His target is a GCSE B, the "professional prediction" is a C3 which is the bottom end of a Grade C. His Level is around 5a/6c.

The revision is a nightmare! He hates maths and doesn't see the point. He is very bright but has dyslexia which I think is behind a lot of his problems.... taking away upside down for example and making silly mistakes, not understanding the scales in a graph etc. School want to keep him in second set to give him the chance of a B but I am beginning to wonder if he'd be better off going for Foundation. We have a sixth form maths student who comes for an hour once a week who says he's good at Pythagoras. He's top set English and Science but just doesn't "get" maths and never has done. I will be happy with a GCSE Grade C and thank goodness he's the last of the old GCSEs and will avoid the new exam emphasis on extra maths.

gardenfeature Wed 23-Apr-14 07:35:19

Raisin Agree with you re the levels - I take most with a pinch of salt. IMO Maths is probably the one that has the most substance to it. Thankfully he loves school, loves learning and loves his teachers - it's just the maths he doesn't love!

I'm now printing off some of the mental maths tests to force on him this evening.

gymboywalton Wed 23-Apr-14 07:39:45

My year nine son just keeps coming home with gcse past papers to do for homework. I think that's what they will give them at the end of term too.

hellsbells99 Wed 23-Apr-14 07:48:20

Hi Op. At this stage you need to encourage him to do the best he can. If you aim for a C grade you may limit his A level options - e.g. at our school, you need a B in maths to do some of the sciences.

gardenfeature Wed 23-Apr-14 07:57:07

Thanks. It does cause concern. He is good at computer science and has an aptitude for programming but you need maths to go further with this. I think the dyslexia could be the root of the problem. He also tends to bury his head in the sand rather than tackle the problem head on.

noblegiraffe Wed 23-Apr-14 09:30:55

I agree that there is too much obsessing over levels, however the end of KS3 is an important assessment point and he should know what he is working towards, just as a GCSE student should know what they are working towards. If you don't know where you are going, how should you be expected to get there?

I will say, as a maths teacher, that if he is just scraping a level 6 at the end of Y9 that a B grade is an ambitious target, a C is more likely. If he wants a B and tends to stick his head in the sand over problems etc, could a tutor to fill in the gaps and boost his confidence be a possibility?

gardenfeature Wed 23-Apr-14 15:18:13

Thanks Noble.

Yes, we have recently started tutoring with a sixth form maths whizz who I think is really going to help but it's still early days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now