Harris academy crystal palace or harris south norwood

(14 Posts)
notnow2 Tue 18-Mar-14 09:23:40

Those are my choices I fear. Any experience or I may have to move but with 3 younger kids and no money - not ideal!

NynaevesSister Tue 18-Mar-14 09:33:31

I also live here. Are they really your only choices? Boy or girl? All the children I know that go to Harris Crystal Palace love it. This is the first year that Harris has taken in Upper Norwood and I don't know anyone there. But I do know quite a few people who chose it for next yer on the confidence of improvement and the school's lovely grounds and location. The first co ed intake is spending year 7 at Harris Soyth Norwood. I don't think it is clear yet what the transition is going to be and that worries me. We are only in year 4 so will be watching closely.

notnow2 Tue 18-Mar-14 09:58:32

I have 3 boys and then 1 girl. Maybe forest hill boys school for older 3 and Sydenham girls for youngest although she is only just 3 so who knows. I have no idea what to do. I worry about moving in less than 6 months.

NynaevesSister Tue 18-Mar-14 10:46:17

So much more choice here if you have girls. Our closest school is Kingsdale but we might as well be

NynaevesSister Tue 18-Mar-14 10:48:40

On the other side of London. Is it easy for you to move ie renting or buying? I have friends with children at Norwood School who love it there, but also know of one who moved schools in the first half term.

Nennypops Tue 18-Mar-14 12:15:31

Neither, to be honest. Harris as a group is rather more interested in profit than it is in good education.

notnow2 Tue 18-Mar-14 12:55:10

Of course but I feel I have not much choice - sigh

NynaevesSister Tue 18-Mar-14 13:40:00

Unfortunately Croydon and Bromley might as well carry the logo 'As sponsored by Harris' on their council letterhead. We don't have a lot of choice. Not if you have boys. In the area there is St Joseph's, which performs poorly, Norwood High which is doing really well these days but is a little too far away and Kingsdale which has an open admissions policy so you can live opposite an have no more chance of getting in than anyone else. Even Harris CP is so oversubscribed within its catchment area it is tough to get in to.

notnow2 Tue 18-Mar-14 14:09:41

Have you looked into forest hill school? You sound near to it?

notnow2 Wed 19-Mar-14 10:29:23

Going to see if we can move after another sleepless night of worry.

hercules1 Wed 19-Mar-14 19:25:42

Anyone know what harris purley is like?

notnow2 Fri 21-Mar-14 14:26:35

I thinks Harris purley gets good reviews but know first hand knowledge.

notnow2 Fri 21-Mar-14 14:26:56

No first hand knowledge!

Lyonessesmifta Mon 01-Sep-14 20:21:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now