A level choices if you want to study physics.

(30 Posts)
trippingthelightfantastic Mon 10-Mar-14 22:12:45

My DC is an able all rounder he aspires to study physics at a top university. He's A level choices are definitely physics and maths an A* for both is realistic, he can choose further maths and his maths teacher predicts he'll do also well in this as well. His other definite choice is a MFL again he's expected to do very well. But he's been told he doesn't have to have further maths in which case he would prefer to do art he's considered to be very talented and he finds it very satisfying.
My question would he be in a stronger position to get into a university like IC if he had further maths?

RaspberryLemonPavlova Sat 15-Mar-14 00:14:32

My DS also wants to do Physics and has chosen Maths with Further Maths, Physics, Philosophy and Geology. Further Maths is a twilight. Are you sure this isn't an option for him?

Eastpoint Sat 15-Mar-14 06:44:06

DN did art while doing other A levels & kept up her portfolio, she did an Art Foundation Course after she finished school & then went to a RG Uni to study something very competitive. Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry & MFL would be my recommendation to my DC if that was their desired path. DH did Physics & is hiding well his disappointment dd1 is doing Biology A level, not physics.

RaspberryLemonPavlova Sat 15-Mar-14 14:14:13

DS refuses to do an MFL, despite being capable. He may yet trade Philosophy for Chemistry.

JellicleCat Sat 15-Mar-14 23:38:49

DD is doing Physics at a Russell Group uni. We are in Scotland so there is no Further Maths qualification. At Advanced Higher (like A level) she did Physics, Maths and French. At Higher level (like As but you typically do 5 subjects) she did Physics, Maths, Chemistry, English and French.

I don't think Further Maths is essential, but no doubt useful and would be a good option if he is likely to do well anyway. Personally I would go for MFL over Art as it allows for the option of a year abroad.

Art is also very time consuming even if he does like it.

AshleyDieback Mon 17-Mar-14 14:54:47

Well very good luck to him. I also find it sad that young people are giving up subjects they love in pursuit of a raft of related A levels deemed necessary to survive a university course. I will stick my neck out and say this happens far more in Sciences than in Arts. Why is this? The knowledge base and capabilities needed for say History or Music are no less than for a Science. If scientists are narrow minded, it is at least partly because they are forced into it at 16.

What a talented young man.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now