Harrow or where for DS?

(81 Posts)
TheBeautifulVisit Thu 27-Feb-14 18:17:30

He's 10. He's super-bright and sporty. And blond. I've noticed when I drop him off at school that he's blonder than all the other children and when he jumps, he jumps that bit higher, and more elegantly, than all the other boys. His prep school say he was made to be world king. Up to now I haven't been entirely convinced about that, but then I got to thinking, why would they say that if it wasn't true? We will have only paid them £150,000 by the time he leaves prep, plus another £300,000 for his two younger brothers. What would be their incentive to make shit up if it isn't true?

Little things like money and geography are minor details, I just want the right school for my future world king.

Please advise. Which is the correct school for him?

Martorana Fri 28-Feb-14 09:12:46

I sort of knew, but didn't grasp until yesterday that they rulers of the major combatant countries in WW1 were all cousins.

Isn't that weird? Or did everyone but me know?

OP- does your ds have any cousins who are rulers of European countries?

TheBeautifulVisit Fri 28-Feb-14 09:16:53

The fees at Le Rosey are encouragingly enormous but I'm worried the uniform may be insufficiently preposterous. Quirky and sensitive DS has his heart set on the idea of a preposterous uniform.

It's so difficult. I'm beginning to think a suitable school for a blond, sensitive boy who can't watch Tracy Beaker because it's too sad, doesn't exist.

Taz1212 Fri 28-Feb-14 09:18:31

If by preposterous you mean "butt ugly" you should take a good look at Fettes. grin

cakeisalwaystheanswer Fri 28-Feb-14 09:19:39

"can't watch Tracy Beaker" or hasn't got time to watch Tracy Beaker because he is busy having his hair highlighted?

I am beginning to doubt your DS is blond at all.

wordfactory Fri 28-Feb-14 09:23:56

Sobs...I sent my boy to Westminster and he's ...blonde shock...

Where did it all go so wrong?

TheBeautifulVisit Fri 28-Feb-14 09:29:04

I didn't know he needed to offer a second instrument. Our Prep head was adamant his grade 7 wind would be sufficient. I'm beginning to wonder if the head of our prep knows anything at all. I've been losing confidence in him since he incorrectly ended a fourth declension noun in a school newsletter. Which perceptive, blond DS spotted..

it doesn't surprise me that these types of schools demand such brilliance. He will be very lucky to get a place as the competition is fearsome.

Needmoresleep Fri 28-Feb-14 09:29:57

Word. Its OK. Westminster accepts the individual. In their eyes blond=quirky.

Martorana Fri 28-Feb-14 09:30:32

Oh, word- how awful...... sad

Is it too late for him to do a H&B BTec and learn about colouring and highlights?

Or will he just go straight to being ruler of a Scandanavian country? I appreciate you'd rather keep him nearer home, but needs must........

wordfactory Fri 28-Feb-14 09:32:58

mart I suppose the scandi route could at least see him getting a selfie with Obama...grasps at straws...

Martorana Fri 28-Feb-14 09:33:11

But in all seriousness, OP - I really think you should look at Christ's Hospital. It seems to fulfil all your requirements.

randommoniker Fri 28-Feb-14 09:33:17

I suggest you compare notes with Statesmom. She can add a lot of value when it comes to TOP SCHOOLS for OUTSTANDING BOYS.

Theas18 Fri 28-Feb-14 09:36:27

Soz Mrs Fotherington-Thomas any fule no if your son haz curly gold locks and a tendency to skip like a girl saying "hello clouds hello sky" he should go to St Custards.

My little Molesworth will look out for him....

randommoniker Fri 28-Feb-14 09:37:23

Theas18 You made me laugh like a drain! I do love a spot of Molesworth!!!!

wordfactory Fri 28-Feb-14 09:38:45

And now the real problemo...what of my blonde of the female pursuasion?

I can either dress her up as a boy for Eton or dye the hair for Westminster...I mean what choice do I have? grin

AuntFidgetWonkhamStrong Fri 28-Feb-14 09:40:56

So sorry to hijack OP but re: the jumping - I'm desperately worried that my DS (a strong all rounder at EVERYTHING else) just won't quite make the grade. Did you tutor? Could you possibly recommend someone??He's 4. Do you think I've left it too late?

Martorana Fri 28-Feb-14 09:43:57

He can pla "fairy bells" on skool piano and win the Miss Joyful Prize for raffia work...........

LaVolcan Fri 28-Feb-14 09:44:23

Well, could be too late - you really should have started by the time he began to walk, if not at birth.

Martorana Fri 28-Feb-14 09:45:34

Word- Christ's Hospital again. Might not be quite academic enough, but the uniform is gloriously preposterous and you can't have everything......

wordfactory Fri 28-Feb-14 09:45:57

If I had my time again I'd have have had my DC's hair transplanted at birth to the correct colour!

cakeisalwaystheanswer Fri 28-Feb-14 09:46:32

How blond is he AuntFidget? If he is very, very blond I wouldn't be too concerned about the jumping. If not you need to start tutoring now.

Yet again I am stunned by the lax parenting freely admitted to on mumsnet.

moomoomummy Fri 28-Feb-14 09:51:11

Best post I have seen in ages!

TheBeautifulVisit Fri 28-Feb-14 09:52:31

AuntFidget - is he very sensitive as well as being an all-rounder? And exceptionally likeable? And quirky? And is he sporty? I'll have a think once you answer. You have left it a little late but try not to worry.

They should bring back Sun-In for parenting dilemmas such as these.

AuntFidgetWonkhamStrong Fri 28-Feb-14 09:53:43

He is mouse blush blush. I have failed him at every level. Perhaps if I send a covering letter with any school application he makes, highlighting his outstanding ability to walk on water (totally untutored), they might overlook this?

Martorana Fri 28-Feb-14 09:54:01

This is all very interesting. My ds started life traffic stoppingly blond. But as he got older his hair darkened- and now he's 13 it's dark. Should I tell him that his ambitions to go to Cambridge are just a pipe dream? Or might his blue eyes still get him through?

And as for my poor dd- she's a red head! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now