Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

GCSE Business?

(5 Posts)
oddsocksmostly Wed 26-Feb-14 19:27:14

My Yr 9 DC is immediately discounting this as an option. Would it be useful for the world of work in the future? (Who knows?!) Opinions please!
Will be posting in chat for additional input.

senua Wed 26-Feb-14 20:58:01

I don't think it is very useful for the world of work.
It is not very well regarded because it is seen as one of the easier subjects. The flip side of that: it is relatively easy to get a good grade, so if it's grades that your sixthform of choice you are after ...

oddsocksmostly Wed 26-Feb-14 21:22:00

Thanks senua. There won't be a problem with sixth form choice. It's just that for me, I wish I'd been exposed to stuff which would have helped me be more confident with the idea of being self employed. (Wondering which way the world is wending, with public services being run down etc)

fizzly Wed 26-Feb-14 22:01:55

I don't think Business Studies GCSE will be of any value in the areas you're concerned about and it won't be considered as a 'good' academic GSCE choice. If you want him to get employability and enterprise skills encourage him to do some extra curricula stuff. Young Enterprise, for example, is good and regarded as a valuable extra.

oddsocksmostly Thu 27-Feb-14 17:38:38

Thanks, I feel clearer now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now