Is it normal for a prospective School 6th Form to Phone parents and want to ask questions about DD 17.

(12 Posts)
morry1000 Mon 24-Feb-14 17:02:38

I have just got in and , there is an answer phone message from the Head of Sixth Form from the Grammar School to which DD is applying.

The message says she is looking forward to meeting DD . However she would like to ask me a few questions about DD regarding her Statement, Educational Abilities and her Social Skills.

I will ring the school Tomorrow and answer the questions in the best light for DD ( Should I mention County Level Hockey Player and Working in a Animal Sanctuary last Summer).

Is it normal for a School to ring the parents and ask such questions for what is a Sixth Form Interview, Albeit Unusual Because of DDs Age.
Should I be concerned or not.

TheOriginalSteamingNit Mon 24-Feb-14 17:04:28

Have never heard of this personally, but maybe because no grammars here.

I would say though, that most sixth forms start from now asking the student, not the parent, to answer for themselves and present themselves, etc - it does seem a bit strange to ask you not her, or indeed the school she's at now.

Unexpected Mon 24-Feb-14 22:13:30

Why is your daughter already 17? Is there a reason why she is applying out of year - could that reason have something to do with why they are calling?

TalkinPeace Mon 24-Feb-14 22:32:38

Should I mention County Level Hockey Player and Working in a Animal Sanctuary last Summer
were they not in her statement?

when DD went for her 6th form college interview they had the mock results from the school and then went through her statement and achievement portfolio before making their offer

morry1000 Mon 24-Feb-14 22:47:17

Unexpected. DD has a Statement For ADHD and has Symptoms of AS Despite having an IQ of 138 , did not get the support she needed.
Because of her IQ ( and a deal her Senco did) was allowed to repeat Yr11 this year. Last year she was predicted 5Es at Gcse but gained 2Cs and 3Bs . Her senco argued that she was "Capable of much better" and that by repeating Yr11 could realistically achieve 8A* Grades and take A Levels a year later than normal.
She applied to the Grammar school unbeknown to the Senco and me, and got a letter inviting her for a interview on Wednesday.

On a similar thread just above this one about A level Choices. I have stated that the Grammar School in Question currently has 0.7% SEN but would like (Possibly for political reasons , Showing Benefits of Grammar Schools) would like to increase SEN numbers to about 2%.

Martorana Mon 24-Feb-14 22:51:23

Maybe they want to talk to you to make sure they know how to support her? Grammar schools are not used to dealing with SEN- they may well need your help.

morry1000 Mon 24-Feb-14 22:57:07

Silly Me I meant 3Ds At Gcse I wish it was 3 Bs . But is now on target for 7A* and 1 B the B being in Biology . The reason for that I have discussed on the Teenagers section...

I suspect they are looking for information to help them prepare for the interview with her - if as you say they are not very used to SEN pupils they may be wanting to ensure they hand,e the interview well. I think it's a good sign. So hoping it goes well for your DD.

morry1000 Mon 24-Feb-14 23:14:01

Talkinpeace. Because DD did this with the help of her Elder Sister , I have no doubt ( DDs Sister is very though) 3rd Year Ancient History Student , all the relevant info would have been included. I knew nothing about this until she showed me a letter from the school last Monday Inviting her to the interview.

DD did show me the attached letter she sent with her application though.
the attached letter stated her age and explained her Statement , how with the right help she has gone from E grades to A* grades (Projected) in just one year. She also says that she believes a single sex Grammar school would enable her to develop and ( mature in to a highly focused student) who would like to study Chemistry/English History and 1 undecided one.

She would like to study Biology but is having issues at the moment with the teacher ( Personality Clash) .

morry1000 Mon 24-Feb-14 23:21:28

Sorry making many mistakes tonight. DDs Elder Sister is a very thoughtful 3rd Year Ancient history student.

morry1000 Tue 25-Feb-14 13:53:44

Working. I have answered their questions, such as

.How Long Has DD had a Statement? "She Has had a Statement since the age of 7".

Why Has DD improved Markedly since the new Senco came in ?

"The new Senco set DD more challenging and more Stimulating work and expected quality that would come from a Selective environment"

Does DD work better in a more formal and disciplined environment and surrounded with equally able students ?

"DD has proved that she works better when surrounded with more able students, by the fact that when she was in lower settings at school would do no work and be disruptive , since she has been in the top sets , her work has been consistently A* standard"

How does DD adapt in group/ teamwork situations ?

"DD is able to adapt very well to these situations as is evident by getting glowing remarks from the Animal Sanctuary she worked in over the summer Holidays. She is also to be a team player is evident by the fact of her success on the hockey Pitch

If we were to offer DD place , would you be able to work with the Senco in assuring the right help and guidance to help DD achieve her potential?

" I have been working with Senco's since DD was 7 many of them have not been able to stimulate or "Excite" DD. I have offered feedback and suggestions , but I have mostly been ignored. I would be delighted to work with the Senco in assuring DD reaches her academic potential.

I hope I have answered these questions correctly , and in the best possible way for DD.

A very positive set of questions I think and very good answers too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now