Are these GCSE choices too limiting?

(33 Posts)
CeliaFate Sun 09-Feb-14 20:17:36

Dd is taking her options (in Wales). Compulsory subjects are Maths, English, RE, Welsh, PE, PSE, Science - either Science which is 1 gsce, Science+additional science which are 2 gsces, 2 sciences or 3 sciences.

Dd wants to take Science (1), Art, IT, Welsh Bacc, German and Geography.

Our concerns are her choices contain too many "soft" subjects and not enough traditional academic subjects.

Are our concerns justified, or are her choices good?

Music, Drama or Art? I've always advised mine to include at least one subject on that list -

That is sound advice, but only if they show some aptitude in one of those subjects or find them enjoyable! grin DS1 is not remotely artistic or practical. He is passionate about Classical Civilisation, so that is his first choice for a less rigorously academic subject.

venturabay Mon 10-Feb-14 08:51:24

Those are the only creative options at their school! Obviously problematic if they're rubbish at and hate all three..... Nevertheless I think the general point that something less academic thrown into the mix is good, not bad. I'm also not sure that less is good, as one poster suggested. Some DC would get bored by GCSEs in only 8 or 9 subjects and a broader education can surely never be bad?

venturabay Mon 10-Feb-14 08:53:12

Actually D&T is available too - one DC did that instead.

Theas18 Mon 10-Feb-14 09:26:50

That doesn't sound a soft list to me at all!

I'm assume the PE/PSE aren't GCSE courses?

CeliaFate Mon 10-Feb-14 09:29:12

Yes, the Pe and Pse are statutory but not qualifications.
So she'd be doing 11 GCSEs - Maths, English Lit,English Lang, Science,R.E., Welsh, Art, I.T., Welsh Bacc, German and Geography.

cardibach Mon 10-Feb-14 19:35:12

I'm a teacher in Wales, teaching Welsh Bac Intermediate which is what you are talking about (as well as teaching English, which is my subject!) I have to say I think it is of questionable value to more academic children who will get a good range of GCSEs and go on to A level. The Advanced Bac, on the other hand, is very useful for both University application and success once there as it teaches all kinds of useful skills.
I'd advise her to do another science in place of the Bac, I think - as long as she can do Advanced Bac in Sixth Form.

CeliaFate Mon 10-Feb-14 20:19:25

Thanks, cardibach that's good to know. I've read about it and it seems very vague and easy to do very little and pass iyswim, eg one of the activities to learn about Welsh politics was to visit the Senedd which seemed non-descript to me.

Bunbaker Tue 11-Feb-14 23:28:55

I didn't know that single science was an option. It isn't available at DD's school. The less able do a BTEC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now