Kingston grammar school 10 plus

(102 Posts)
ttcnumber3maybe Mon 20-Jan-14 20:13:07

Hi folks! Ds took 10+ at kgs on 4 jan and we haven't heard anything yet 2 weeks on... Just wondered if anyone else out there was in the same boat. I bit the bullet and called admissions last Friday and she said they hadn't started doing the calls yet for interviews as they were focusing on 11plus (although we had been advised would hear within 2 weeks).... Let me know if you hear anything! Ds also took the hampton 10plus but was his first ever exam and raced through it without checking... Was no suprise when we got a rejection letter (15 places out of 250 odd sitting the exam!!!)

Shootingatpigeons Sat 25-Jan-14 12:47:24

Point taken but the rest of my points apply, they will presumably be having to look even more carefully at the papers to discern the most able as they do not want to risk giving those places to any but the most deserving.

That would be more reflective of the school than it being a matter of poor communication, not valuing the parents.

All those who have come through the West London independent school system as my DDs have will tell you that KGS pupils have almost uniformly happy experiences and feel the most valued as individuals. Parents are very happy too ( though I am sure there is the odd one hmm )

ClaraMaugham Sat 25-Jan-14 16:13:19

Shooting do you have any idea how many places they offer at 11+? My DD had an English interview, which surprised us as English is supposed to be her stronger subject. She felt the interview went well but it's so hard to know! We really like the school...

castlesintheair Sat 25-Jan-14 20:08:53

Great post(s) Shootingatpigeons. Agree with everything you say.

Pop1ns Sat 25-Jan-14 22:07:04

What does having an 'English' or 'Maths' interview actually mean?

amidaiwish Sun 26-Jan-14 11:42:06

afaik it is a 1 on 1 interview where they focus on that topic. So they might ask them to read a poem and discuss it, or give them a maths question to do. Typically when they have fallen down unexpectedly in one paper.

Shootingatpigeons Sun 26-Jan-14 11:51:48

Clara I don't know but they must over offer by quite a margin. I presume they take their experience of how many people decline a place and then over offer to that extent. I know LEH and Putney High both ended up with extra classes in particular years because they had more acceptances than they anticipated, which suggests at least 28 more offers than places but probably more than that (and LEH and Putney are pretty sure of a high proportion of Junior School acceptances anyway) Obviously if they get more rejections they have the waiting lists which can move quickly, so it obviously isn't an exact Science. Remember most pupils will be declining two or more offers if their parents have pitched where they tried for realistically. On the morning acceptances / rejections were due in I encountered a lot of parents who like me had debated the decision to the wire and were driving about West London delivering their final answers!

pops if a pupil has displayed a weakness in the exam that they are concerned about they will interview them to find out if it is a genuine weakness or they just didn't show what they were capable of on the day. I think KGS are the only ones who formally tell you ahead that it is a Maths or English specific interview but I know other schools often do test out pupil capabilities in interview if they are concerned.

ClaraMaugham Sun 26-Jan-14 20:06:18

As I understand it they interview everyone who's scored above a certain level on all papers, but if one subject seems weaker they will focus on that in the interview. If there's a real weakness in one or other subject then you aren't offered an interview at all (this happened to a friend's DS - she rang for feedback and was told the English paper was not up to the required standard).

Contessa28 Mon 27-Jan-14 05:53:40

Thanks for the clarification all. Clara I assume that your friend's ds was for a previous year? Hope post comes this week soon so we know either way!

Shootingatpigeons Mon 27-Jan-14 08:16:46

clara I am not sure it is that simple. When I got feedback for my DD, to try and help us make up our minds, I found all the schools had built up a good picture of her strengths and weaknesses, where she had lost and picked up marks. They picked up that she struggled with accuracy and misreading questions (still does!) I suspect they are eager to pick up the bright ones who may not have the benefit of years of tutoring / prep school preparation. I think even if they don't get an interview they have been looked at holistically rather than it being a first past the post exercise. However if the number of applicants start climbing I don't suppose they have time to make a such a good job of that, hence the delays.

Shootingatpigeons Mon 27-Jan-14 08:17:22

Also hoping your DDs the best of luck

harrassedswlondonmum Mon 27-Jan-14 08:18:04

On the subject of over offering, on another thread someone linked to a very interesting table on the Old Vicarage school website - numbers of offers and places accepted for their leavers. For example in 2013 there were 22 offers for PHS and G&L but only 3 acceptances between them. That's a lot of offers rejected, just from one prep school.

reddidi Mon 27-Jan-14 09:04:22

Statistics mentioned on this thread about 11+ entry which is probably better than hijacking a 10+ entry thread, this process is confusing enough!

Contessa28 Mon 27-Jan-14 17:14:39

Post update: still nothing and still waiting! Ds v anxious to know either way re 10 plus!

amidaiwish Mon 27-Jan-14 18:01:49

Torture. I would have forgotten about it by now if we'd have heard when we expected to. I showed Dd the KGS uniform in bentalls today. WHY did I do that? Must get a grip...

Contessa28 Mon 27-Jan-14 21:39:40

Post update: still nothing and still waiting! Ds v anxious to know either way re 10 plus!

Alana1975 Tue 28-Jan-14 12:43:14

I have not recieved any news from KGS. I am very curious about the outcome, especially after it took so long.

Contessa28 Tue 28-Jan-14 12:50:50

Oops posted twice ... Nothing today (Tuesday!) anyone heard anything???

wheresthebeach Tue 28-Jan-14 12:59:13

Not a dickey bird....

castlesintheair Tue 28-Jan-14 13:12:39

Nothing and I'm expecting to hear by email so possibly sooner than regular post? confused

amidaiwish Tue 28-Jan-14 13:58:23

Why are you expecting to hear by email?

wheresthebeach Tue 28-Jan-14 14:02:04

Am starting to get grumpy....

amidaiwish Tue 28-Jan-14 14:21:39

Now that I know it'll be this week I am ok, it's only Tuesday. But I will not be ok this weekend if still radio-silence!

Contessa28 Tue 28-Jan-14 15:47:41

How did your dc find the tests?

wheresthebeach Tue 28-Jan-14 16:06:01

Math hard, rest 'fine'

Alana1975 Tue 28-Jan-14 16:20:50

My daughter recognised the extract ( at least she thinks she did) for reading comprehension. İt was from the book she just started to read Chinese Cinderella, the story of unwanted daughter.
She found it challenging but manageable. She found mathematics easy. I practiced with her some verbal reasoning papers, Bond 10-11 years old and she thought VR at the exam was at the same level of difficulty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now