50 pressups on field during PE

(25 Posts)
mrsjavierbardem Mon 20-Jan-14 12:06:08

My d nephew (12) got 50 press ups last week for what sounds like a bit of mucking about. It's a very strict school. But FIFTY press ups?

The parents are leaving it, as they weren't there etc. But will think about it if it happens again.

But does that sound reasonable in 2ndary school? Are there guide lines from DOE for physical punishment?

curlew Mon 20-Jan-14 12:08:49

Could he do them? Did he suffer in any way? Was he expected to do them all? My ds's judo whateveryoucallhim will often say "a Give me 50!" For giggling and messing But will stop them once they have actually done a few proper ones, taking it seriously....

If he can't physically manage 50 press ups then he wouldn't have done them, he'd have done some kind of version of a press up. It's not corporal punishment, I'd hope my DC's can mange 50 press ups at 12, my 8yo does 20!

MissMilbanke Mon 20-Jan-14 12:10:45

Physical punishment really ?

<shrugs>

Picturesinthefirelight Mon 20-Jan-14 12:11:06

It'll be good for him

Dd is desperately trying to improve her press ups as she didn't do very well on her last assessment (dancers do them in a slightly different way apparently)

mrsjavierbardem Mon 20-Jan-14 12:11:24

oh he could do them apparently, hurt like hell, it was cold. Apparently one teacher was checking he went 'low' enough…
I just think it sounds like a lot, 10 or 20 is still a punishment while lots of the class is just laughing at you.
But we weren't there so easy to feel protective and miss the point!

Domus Mon 20-Jan-14 12:25:03

He could do 50? Properly? At 12? How often does he do press-ups?

I live surrounded by sportsmen/women and fitness fanatics. I don't think I know anyone who could do 50 press-ups properly, certainly not anyone who doesn't practise obsessively. For that reason, I suspect you/his parents have heard a slightly embellished version of events.

HSMMaCM Mon 20-Jan-14 12:28:30

DD would get this sort of punishment if she mucked about in PE. Not a problem. She needs to behave.

Bowlersarm Mon 20-Jan-14 12:31:11

Hopefully it has taught him not to muck about again.

IamInvisible Mon 20-Jan-14 12:32:20

Really Domus?

DS1(19) can do well over a 100, properly.

I very much doubt a 12 yo did 50 press-ups properly, tbh. To get in the Army as an Officer you have to do 44 in 2 minutes.

curlew Mon 20-Jan-14 12:32:25

My very sporty, very fit 12 year old couldn't. That's why I mentioned his judo teacher, who asks for 50, and they have to do them til they've stopped giggling or whatever and have done a few proper ones.

curlew Mon 20-Jan-14 12:34:00

Sorry, forgot this is Mumsnet. There will be toddlers along in a minute who can do 100, but are nothing special, just ordinary children........grin

IamInvisible Mon 20-Jan-14 12:39:08

DS1 can do it Curlew because he is absolutely obsessive about his fitness. He goes to the gym everyday, he runs and has a weight bench in his room. He has been like that for a few years.

I know he can do over 100 because he went to an Officer Insight Day with the Army, someone counted, he could do more than everyone else, and was used as an example to the rest.

He wouldn't have been able to have done it when he was 12.

curlew Mon 20-Jan-14 12:41:29

Absolutely. 19-yes. 12? No way!

mrsjavierbardem Mon 20-Jan-14 12:46:19

Thanks for all this feedback, I suspect we can't have been told the whole truth, 50 is a lot!
It is a very strict school and this teacher is apparently straight out of a 50s film but not in a Mr Chips way!

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Mon 20-Jan-14 12:54:52

Press ups aren't punishment, they are an excellent exercise for core strength and overall conditioning. Pretty much anyone is capable of doing them given the right instruction and practice. He will be fitter for it.

Whether it's a good or appropriate teaching / discipline tool - I would leave that to the experts to decide.

mrsjavierbardem Mon 20-Jan-14 13:17:38

I just am not sure about the role of humiliation in punishment. Of course it's a corrective in behaviour but I think we forget how hard adolescence is and shaming should not be the only tool in the arsenal of a secondary school teacher is it?
I am happy about the exercise, it just seemed a high number

MissScatterbrain Mon 20-Jan-14 13:43:21

I very much doubt it was actually 50. Kids do exaggerate and you don't always know the full story...

But yes, teachers do need to find ways of instilling discipline and I am all for this kind of thing if that's what needed to bring the class under control.

coco44 Tue 21-Jan-14 18:41:58

My DDs who are 8 and 12 and gymnasts can easily do 50, but most of their school friends couldn't do a tenth of that!

PiqueABoo Wed 22-Jan-14 00:05:57

"There will be toddlers along in a minute who can do 100, but are nothing special, just ordinary children........"
--

Well it's easy for toddlers because they don't have to push-up so much weight.

MrsBright Wed 22-Jan-14 08:34:42

Be VERY careful when believing teenage stories like this. Teens love exaggerating, and love making themselves look the victim.

Get a few other versions of this story before you wade in - the full version, with all the lead up to the alleged press-ups.

scaevola Wed 22-Jan-14 08:39:05

Why so few? Really, it's a standard number or on the low side for that age so not outlive in that sense. And probably better to do that than full disciplinary procedures.

And as the disruptive boy clearly had too much energy, it strikes me as a sensible measure.

scaevola Wed 22-Jan-14 08:39:53

'outlive' DYAC punitive

Sorry

I have a cunning way to avoid humiliation.

Dont prat about.

MrsBright Wed 22-Jan-14 09:34:39

Yup. But it takes teen boys ages to work out this simple fact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now