RGS Guildford

(159 Posts)
Slideraft Fri 17-Jan-14 09:01:52

Has anybody had a second interview letter yet?

Longsuffering2 Fri 21-Feb-14 11:44:55

Good luck to you also Surreygoldfish and with CE, which I am sure your DS will do just fine. On the CE requirement, the current RGS mums also said school took a reasonably pragmatic approach....if any papers are seriously below par then you are asked to have another crack at it and then that's normally fine....so stress levels shouldn't go through the roof over this. I have been advised however, that scholarship papers v hard work for small chance of success for the majority. CE will be superb prep for GCSE.

alpha2014 Sun 02-Mar-14 09:54:06

Congratulations to everyone accepted! And good luck to everyone!

Would anyone please know how the wait list goes? I understand that there is ranking on the list and also the school has over offered.

How did it go on previous years? The school would not offer statistics.

Also, is it really a ranked list, or more a pool of candidates? The school did say there is ranking. On other posts I have seen that at other schools the HMs of the current schools (or even the children on the wait list themselves!!) lobby for a place. Is this really an appropriate practice?

Thank you!

nibs777 Sun 02-Mar-14 14:11:59

Certain schools do have a willingness to talk to a head about border line cases or waiting list applicants...especially for 13+ applicants who have sat a pre-test...this is because there is a significant time gap between taking the exam and perhaps in some cases, coming off the waiting list ...I wouldn't call it unfair lobbying as much as the head will be doing what a good head should do ..that is periodically updating the next senior school on any significant achievements (music,drama,sports or academic) in the meanwhile to show how a child has developed over time since they sat the test.

In 11+ cases there may be borderline candidates, where other factors /achievements may weigh in and further input may be given by a head to support his/her initial report.

alpha2014 Tue 04-Mar-14 11:41:32

Thank you, nibs777

Would anybody have more specific information on this school, please?

Should the HM really volunteer the information, or wait for the rgs to request it? and would the additional feedback really matter at this point?

Longsuffering2 Tue 04-Mar-14 13:20:25

Sorry Alpha....sounds like the waitlist process is a little 'off-piste'...I guess the only way with your approach would be to try. Worst that could happen is they set you straight and spell out what's to be done. Good luck!

nibs777 Tue 04-Mar-14 15:44:00

Alpha....rather than speculating, why don't you call RGS Admissions to see if they would be open to more supporting info. from your head ....I don't know how RGS works but some senior schools are open to that kind of discussion on waiting list candidates. There should be no big mystique on these things and they should be able to tell you if it is worth doing that.

alpha2014 Tue 04-Mar-14 15:50:54

Thank you, nibs777. Will try to gather my courage to call...

Longsuffering2 Tue 04-Mar-14 17:33:05

......so for 13+ entry...is that it now for the next 2.5 years? Feels like an anti-climax now after all the build up and the wait on results....don't get me wrong, v.happy but, you know fanfare or champagne reception would be nice!

nibs777 Tue 04-Mar-14 17:37:20

alpha - I sent you a pm....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now