RGS Guildford

(159 Posts)
Slideraft Fri 17-Jan-14 09:01:52

Has anybody had a second interview letter yet?

Lolakins Fri 24-Jan-14 10:39:53

For what it's worth, I think they interview the bottom end of the top third and reject the bottom two thirds. Otherwise the numbers just don't add up. This isn't making me feel any more hopeful!

AlisonP15 Fri 24-Jan-14 10:50:02

As it is apparently 2.5 to a place that works out - they will offer slightly more than 100 as not everyone will accept. My son had a second interview and I was told we will hear nothing till mid Feb now - does that mean we could still get a rejection or more hopeful waiting list ...?

Lolakins Fri 24-Jan-14 16:06:01

Don't know. Waiting list probably.

Slideraft Mon 27-Jan-14 14:26:17

Special plea to anybody waiting.... I'm away until Thursday morning. Please can anybody let me know as soon as you hear of any 'no sorry' letters hitting the mat.
I really want to be there to support my DS (if we do get a No Thanks.) Hubby is around, but will need a shove from me to make sure he gets to the post first!
Anybody, also waiting for Salesian?

Longsuffering2 Mon 27-Jan-14 15:44:54

We've had nothing ...it is a like a long toothache! DS asking me daily if any news....have a hunch 'nos' may land this week. Good luck all! We sat Hampton on Saturday - sounds like RGS entrant/pupil ratio much higher than there........fingers crossed!

AlisonP15 Mon 27-Jan-14 16:15:48

Anyone know anymore about second interviewees? How many places for them?? So stressful....!

nibs777 Mon 27-Jan-14 16:43:53

what are the Hampton vs RGS applicant vs places figures? Curious as guess some of the numbers overlap because some apply to both.

Yes, think the straight "No"s will land at the end of this week for RGS.

Then what's left is the "Yes", or the "No but you are invited to try again at 12+" letters to land by mid Feb.

Longsuffering2 Mon 27-Jan-14 18:57:31

Had heard purely on grapevine 1:8 for Hampton......who knows though. DS found maths paper v hard, so not holding out there. Nibs777, I reckon your timings sound right - we sat for 13plus, the come back at 12 option had slipped my mind. ��....so I guess we're not through the woods even if we survive the week.

woodrunner Tue 28-Jan-14 20:10:02

Hampton has a much wider selection of boys trying out for other schools though, especially in London. Some use Hampton as their back up if they don't get into Westminster or St Pauls, Tiffin or Kings. So although more sit, the numbers probably even out, as they offer out a higher percentage of places which are not taken up. Hampton's waiting list is quite mobile, whereas for many parents in Surrey RGS is first choice, so if the boy gets a place it's more usually accepted because there are fewer choices of that calibre in the area.

nibs777 Tue 28-Jan-14 22:20:49

do you think many would reject Hampton for Tiffin or is it not sometimes the other way round? If so why (apart from the obvious for choosing Tiffin - that one is free)...if you did or would, what had Hampton got over Tiffin? (facilities, sport, all roundedness?)

nibs777 Tue 28-Jan-14 22:23:26

or on that topic...why Hampton over RGS or vice versa (apart from reasons like logistics)..just curious as I don't know either school well apart from looking at both of them.

JaneyPal Wed 29-Jan-14 10:18:05

Hi!

I had a long chat with the admissions tutor this week.

What I gleaned was.....

No's should be out for Friday (though second interviews no' scone later so beware!)
This third, third, third thing is well off the mark. You'd have to be well in the top half to get an interview
So.....no news is still likely to be bad news given the odds unfortunately!
Implied less being interviewed now so better chance of getting in if you did one
And it's true what the head said on the day - many boys go through interview so worry not about coping there!

Jx

Longsuffering2 Wed 29-Jan-14 11:21:50

Hi Janeypal - thanks so much for that info. Does 'out on Friday' mean hitting the mat then? Or are they posting them on Friday? I know they've done exactly as they said, but waiting is sooo hard.

nibs777 Wed 29-Jan-14 11:50:32

So if you are waiting better that a letter from RGS does NOT arrive this week...because if it does it is unfortunately going to be a No...

Longsuffering2 Wed 29-Jan-14 12:24:18

Thanks for reassuring logic Nibs.....I hadn't thought of that!

nibs777 Wed 29-Jan-14 12:45:38

I think I am correct ...it's a strange process but I suppose there must be a logic to it ....it's just ironic waiting to not see the postman bringing anything this week as is the poor man/woman is a harbinger of doom!...Soon we may be into the posts on whether it is a fat letter or a thin one and if you can tell for the few nerve wracking seconds before you open it ....

nibs777 Wed 29-Jan-14 12:47:43

i also wonder if the admissions folk read these posts and are bemused at the nervous speculation...

Longsuffering2 Wed 29-Jan-14 13:13:20

No...I'm sure they'll be swamped just manning the phone-line and marking.....I'm impressed by all those cool cucumbers out there, we did this with DD a few years ago and all worked out fine - I was a wreck back then and feel even worse now. Am feeling than an offer - any offer from anywhere for poor DS would be just great! Am going to stick a bottle in the fridge ready for Friday night - good plan either way.

nibs777 Wed 29-Jan-14 13:20:21

..you'd think in this economic climate with significant hikes in private fees over the years, applicant numbers would be down vs places but no...seems to be a flight to quality in terms of education and applications to decent senior schools are at record highs in most cases....

Lolakins Wed 29-Jan-14 14:07:20

I wouldn't start celebrating on Friday night, even if you receive no letter Longsuffering2! What if the post was simply delayed???

Longsuffering2 Wed 29-Jan-14 14:44:01

Thanks Lolakins. Bottle was intended to drown sorrows or at least celebrate having survived this week.

nibs777 Wed 29-Jan-14 16:13:15

aah...one day you will look back and think these things are not as life changing as we fear...when i think of GCSEs...i can't even recall the last time I bothered to put those on a CV or even A levels...just stick to including the degree now, the post grad qualifications and extensive professional work experience...

Lolakins Wed 29-Jan-14 19:23:23

Yes, but at the moment they seem uber important! So are the no letters coming on Friday or on Saturday? Janeypal please clarify!

JaneyPal Wed 29-Jan-14 20:03:17

They implied Friday but I would not rely on that at all. Indeed I'm sure they prefer them to land on Saturday as it prevents an instant wave of pleading phone calls (been there!) and gives disappointed parents 48 hours to cool down and accept the verdict!!

Longsuffering2 Wed 29-Jan-14 20:07:26

Hang in there Lolakins. I'm seeing alot of strained faces down at school - not to mention my own. Reeds have sent out their offer letters today - I am a bit surprised as I thought (according to Hampton website) that local schools agreed offers not posted until Thursday 13th to avoid 'cherry-picking' candidates. Perpective not easy to have when fundamentally there is a desperate shortage of places in the area. It is tough. My poor DS has had serious sleep issues since October and virtually no sleep night before each and every pre-test. Never had such issues with DD who is as cool asa cucumber.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now