ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

13 plus Common Pre-test St Pauls and Westminster.

(65 Posts)
timmytoes Thu 09-Jan-14 21:06:21

The new Common Pre test for St Pauls and Westminster has thrown up some very puzzling results at our school. Does any one else have any comments on the new format.

Eastpoint Thu 13-Feb-14 07:04:12

Are you sure they don't interview by age? Oldest first so they speak to the youngest when they are 13. Sadly I think there are still more September-December children offered places at this stage.

As the mother of an august born DC I do like it when schools manage this process by age, like Eton does. SPS say they are doing it randomly. But the boy called from our school is not the oldest, nor alphabetically first but is super clever so I do wonder....

Moggy72 Thu 13-Feb-14 11:01:54

Kings letters due tomorrow. .... Yikes

AuntFidgetWonkhamStrong Thu 13-Feb-14 11:36:38

Hmm - wish I could offer some reassurance but one of the brightest boys in DS's school (an August birthday) was also ne of the first interviewed!

Yes, King's tomorrow! And our post is ALWAYS late...

Kalg Thu 13-Feb-14 18:21:37

If SPLs interview a lot of suitable boys first, they will then offer places to them as they always give the results within 2 weeks of the interview. This then uses up the available places. It maybe of course that they interview lots of unsuitable boys first, which leaves the places open.

With my older son's year group, there were far more boys given places granted if they were interviewed by the middle of May. In fact, everyone interviewed after then in his prep school were WL or turned down.

Fascinating and I guess it makes sense for them to interview in order of pre test results since they have them. So an earlier interview date is a good sign. Which makes the waiting even more stressful. Am so glad we now have our interview date!!

Moggy72 Thu 13-Feb-14 20:16:11

Getting pretty fed up now. Had Westminster today and agree that the exam was challenging but not impossible. Got the impression from my DS that the interview was a bit of a meet and greet ... I.e. Very enjoyable but unlikely to be a big part of the process (I could be wrong). That means it will be down to exam performance. Still waiting for SP interview date. To think even if we get offers we need to clear Common entrance !!

Challengers Fri 14-Feb-14 05:20:09

My DS was the last one in his school to be interviewed last year . He is the youngest in his year so not sure if late birthday had any bearing . He got offered a place . Good luck to everyone !!

mariehubble1 Wed 19-Feb-14 11:33:23

Hi,
I am new to the world of UK's education .My son had Westminster interview in feb first week.
It was ok .Maths was easy and english was bit challenging.
I am still waiting for St. Pauls interview date.

Any idea how they are calling children for an interview??Are they applying any criteria???

Please can some one help me to understand the processes.
Also it would be good if anyone can guide me @ exmas and pattern of an interview for St pauls.

Thanks,
Marie

Hi marie well done to your DS. If you read this thread you will see us trying to work out how SPS are deciding who to call when. They say it is random but evidence suggests so far the very cleverest boys have been called so far. No insight yet on what the interview is beyond short maths and creative writing and then an interview with some subject based questions. Impossible to prepare for beyond the obvious.

mariehubble1 Wed 19-Feb-14 15:07:03

Thanks a lot for your reply...
Lets see when my son will get his letter...
I know from our son who will be having an interview on 27th Feb.
Fingers and Toes crossedsmile

Westminister they call all the school boys on same day..

Kalg Thu 20-Feb-14 12:23:53

Mariehubble1 - good luck to your son the the 27 Feb.

I didn't really understand your comment about Westminster. Do you mean that Westminster will call us if our DS has a place. I thought we would receive a letter sometime in March. Any information gratefully received!

mariehubble1 Thu 20-Feb-14 12:42:45

Kalg, I mean to say westminister will call according to school..
All the boys who passed iseb from the same they will invite all of them on same daysmile
Also one of boy form our school have an interview on 27th Feb at St pauls.
I am still waiting for my sons datesad
Lets see..

Eastpoint Thu 20-Feb-14 16:33:48

I thought Westminster were going to write after the interviews before the end of the summer term (friend's son had his interview 2 wks ago).

What she means is that boys are called for interview in a group from their prep or primary school. And results letters go out 'early march'.

Kalg Thu 20-Feb-14 20:32:39

Thanks for the clarification - that's helpful.

mariehubble1 Fri 21-Feb-14 12:14:40

Its long waiting for an interview and again long long long processes to get the admission in the schoolsad

Kalg Sat 22-Feb-14 18:18:04

My DS has an offer from CLSB. So relieved that we have an offer now. Hopefully the wait for Westminster will be less stressful now.

mariehubble1 Sat 22-Feb-14 22:08:41

Congratulations smile

FIFIBEBE Sat 22-Feb-14 22:22:52

Wow, good luck to all your boys. Mine is about to finish at SPS and things have certainly changed in the 5 years or so since he got in.

Harassedbutoptimistic1 Mon 03-Mar-14 14:08:39

Hi I'm new to Mumsnet! I was just wondering if anyone had heard back from Westminster yet? I believe the results are due out at the beginning of March, according to the letter that I received. Additionally, has anyone any idea of what is expected on the St Paul's maths and English short tests and any help with types of interview questions would be gratefully received!

Kalg Mon 03-Mar-14 21:08:11

No news from Westminster yet. I heard also that we would hear sometime in March. I would also be interested in what to expect for St Pauls.

Mamala123 Fri 07-Mar-14 22:10:32

Anyone get Westminster offer letters today for 13+ 2016 entry?

Eastpoint Sat 08-Mar-14 08:39:27

Friend's son mentioned up thread received a Westminster offer yesterday, they're taking it.

mariehubble1 Sat 08-Mar-14 15:24:17

Yep My son got the offer lettersmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now