GCSE choices

(29 Posts)
MerlinFromCamelot Thu 02-Jan-14 11:55:44

Happy new year to all if you.

Now that the hols are over DD will have to make her GCSE choices in the next few weeks. Problem is that I'm mortified that she will be making the wrong choices. She has changed her mind 4 times over the Christmas holidays!

Now what? We are having a parents evening later this month. Do schools normally make recommendations regarding choices, should I approach the school myself about this? Any advice as how go help DD make the right choices would be very much appreciated. I'm well aware that she will make her own choices, I just think it is worrying that she changed her mind so often and so close to decision day.

Please help.

Thank you

NoComet Fri 03-Jan-14 01:31:02

DD1 really enjoys art, but she would think lunch time in the art room was fun, not work.

Music she finds hard work and also geography.

She is her parents child, science just makes sense, she finds herself explaining it to her class mates.

MerlinFromCamelot Fri 03-Jan-14 10:48:10

Thank you for your advice, feeling much better now.

lljkk Fri 03-Jan-14 19:18:29

Lots of Unis offer Vet science without requiring A/A* in every GCSE subject.
confused
Look here.
Work experience is the deal breaker for Vet Science not GCSE marks.

hench Fri 03-Jan-14 23:42:18

Agree work experience is most important for would be vets, which means it has to be something you plan to do over several years rather than something you decide on the spur of the moment. The limited sample of 3 vet students I know all had straight A* GCSEs (or very close to that) as well, so I did assume this was also required - this may be wrong, but I expect it helps, especially if applying before A level results and from a high achieving school, less critical if applying post A levels or with mitigating circumstances.

Whilst GCSE choices are usually not too critical, the careers (Vet and architect) that the OP said her dd was considering are two of the few where you do need to be a little bit careful over subject choices imo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now