ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Harrow school waiting list - an idea what the odds are?

(12 Posts)
chinatea Sun 15-Dec-13 08:45:44

I'm hoping someone out there may have been in a similar position before and can shine some light on likely outcomes. My DS sat Harrow pre-test in October and is on the waiting list for 2015 entry. Apparently there are 30 on the list and there is no particular order. He is dead set on going but I want to be realistic. Obviously we are looking at other options but any advice on how much hope we should have on the Harrow thing would be much appreciated. Another 18 months of waiting with disappointment at the end is not attractive!!

happygardening Sun 15-Dec-13 10:11:45

Have you actually contacted the school and asked them? IME most admissions offices are very helpful. Also what does you head think does he have experience of this?

Londinium Sun 15-Dec-13 18:32:01

Can your head teacher put in a request for likelihood. If he/she can support you and say it is your first choice that may help.

chinatea Mon 16-Dec-13 11:46:37

Thanks for your messages. My DH spoke with the registrar who told him where DS had done well etc during the test day and was lovely but would not be drawn on how likely the waiting list place was to convert. DS at prep school in London and boys tend to go to London day school so Harrow bit out of Head's area of expertise. I'll try to catch him today before they all disappear. I believe Harrow over-offer definite places so there have to be a few not accepting offers before they even get to waitlist. Just wondered if it was hopeless or if anyone had experience of getting in off the waitlist.

Disapdad Fri 07-Feb-14 16:00:17

I would suggest you keep constant contact with Harrow with the latest development/achivements update etc. One of my friend did the same and have moved up from waiting list.

motherstongue Sat 08-Feb-14 18:29:17

I wasn't aware Harrow over offered! Where did you get this info? My experience is they have x amount of places in each house so will only offer what they can accommodate, if anyone declines they will move boys from the waiting list.

Traggod Sat 01-Mar-14 21:57:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chinatea Tue 25-Mar-14 12:21:11

Harrow sent us details about the wait list when our DS was put on it and it says that they have about 160 places and they offer a few more than this a firm offers. About 30 are on the wait list. They say there is no order but presumably if a sportsman drops out they'll be looking for someone sporty to fill that spot etc. We've heard nothing since December from Harrow so I will try to get in touch again with the Registrar to see if there has been any movement so far.

happygardening Tue 25-Mar-14 15:27:18

Harrow definitely over offer. A friends DS fell foul of this. One house over offered but apparently surprisingly all accepted the place and all passed CE. Despite doing very well this boy was given the choice of another house, which they didn't want or defer entry till the following year, as he was a very late birthday, but he would have to sit CE again.
The parents were IMO surprisingly reasonable about this whereas I was frankly stunned that they would do this and I know I wouldn't have been reasonable!

vixsatis Wed 26-Mar-14 10:16:53

OP- have sent you a PM

chinatea Thu 27-Mar-14 10:24:48

Bad enough to be on the waitlist without getting in, passing CE and then still getting bumped!! Have been hearing a few horror stories about Harrow admissions recently. Bracing myself to call the Registrar now . . .

phoebeophelia Wed 23-Apr-14 18:02:14

OP I am in the same position as you, Waiting List 2015 entry.

I heard that there is little or no movement on the Waiting List until January 2015. This is because many parents have covered their options by accepting an offer and paid the £3,000 deposit, but make their final decision before Easter. This is because they will have to pay a full terms fees if they withdraw after Easter, as they must give at least a terms notice.

We have accepted another offer. If we are promoted from the Harrow Waiting List before next Easter then we will have a decision to make. After Easter, then we will stick with the other place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now