ds's A Level choices drama rumbles on... help!

(108 Posts)
lainiekazan Wed 04-Dec-13 10:04:03

The form has to be in on Friday and he can't decide.

He is definitely doing Eng Lit and History. Then he hasn't a clue. The runners are Music, Latin and Philosophy.

He is thinking of putting down all 5 but I think he'll have a nervous breakdown (or I will) if he starts off doing that many. He's worried that Music does not look good enough, he would find it difficult to achieve as highly in Latin as students at a public/private school, and that Philosophy would be one essay subject too many and, again, might not look that impressive.

Any opinions?

lalsy Tue 10-Dec-13 15:44:49

Yep, that's exactly it - literary and cultural interpretations thereof!

I like the way this thread has reached such a satisfactory point of agreement smile - do hope that has been helpful OP....

antimatter Tue 10-Dec-13 15:47:51

Lol lainiekazan at burtocks :D

Beastofburden Tue 10-Dec-13 20:21:56

I thought we could have a great syllabus for the morose and nihilistic teenager.

German- they can study Kafka, so they can see how a faceless bureaucratic machine can crush the spirit; Fontane to learn the utter futility of human love; and der Schimmelreiter by that bloke which has a long, relentless harassment into a death in a ditch of muddy water under an endless grey sky.

Philosophy - existentialist, of course, musing on the insolubility of all dilemmas and the futility of human intelligence.

History- a catalogue of error, corruption and suffering.

And perhaps Biology, to rub in how we are all 90% water and doomed to die.

I thought we could call it "Misery studies"

You're welcome smile

lalsy Wed 11-Dec-13 08:14:00

Excellent stuff! What a useful thread this has been smile

Lancelottie Wed 11-Dec-13 08:38:51

Beastie, could we add geology to that? Pondering on the mahoosive magma chamber under Yellowstone just ripening to blow our world to kingdom come, or the inexorable slide of continents into the ocean... that should cheer them up nicely.

antimatter Wed 11-Dec-13 10:35:00

I thought Lancelottie you meant their bedrooms grin

Lancelottie Wed 11-Dec-13 10:45:16

grin Palaeontoloy of the Teenage Bedroom... there's a thesis right there, antimatter.

Beastofburden Wed 11-Dec-13 10:55:29

Perfect. Bum studies, Misery studies and Palaeontology of the teenage bedroom.

Sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now