Varndean School, Brighton

(8 Posts)
ponymad9 Sun 01-Dec-13 15:41:44

Hello, have moved in to the area and it looks like we will be offered Varndean for my Year 7 girl. Anyone at the school already and/or know anything about it, please? Thank you :-)

derektheladyhamster Mon 02-Dec-13 14:10:19

I know several children who go there and are very happy. We have put it down as our first choice for our son to start there next Sept in yr 7.

oopsidasies Fri 09-May-14 14:19:40

I realise this is a bit out of date but just to say that I have had two kids at the school and they have both been really happy. Lovely friendship groups, some great extra-curricular stuff and DS left last year with really good GCSEs. Highly recommended.

ponymad9 Fri 29-Aug-14 16:16:34

Hi, not too late at all, sorry i missed this - we ended up moving abroad but will be back next summer so have to choose schools now by end of october argghhhh so thank you

RockinHippy Mon 01-Sep-14 17:41:37

A word if warning, if you are going to be living in the Varndean Stringer catchment area - put ONLY those 2 schools down on your firms, ignore the comments suggesting 3 choices - we got caught out putting 3 choices with only 2 schools in our catchment area - ended up getting none & allocated a bad school miles away instead - those in the know who just put those 2 schools down were eventually allocated one or the other. Though it is a lottery system here, so no real choice at all, you can cover yourself a bit by putting only schools in your catchment area

HTH

slightlyconfused85 Mon 01-Sep-14 20:31:27

Varndean has gone up and down a bit over the last few years. They in fact, only got 48% A*-C including English and Maths this year which puts them pretty much at the bottom of the list of B&H schools. As Rockin says, it's a lottery system here with very little choice so be very careful where you move to if you have a strong preference.

I am a teacher and I now work out of B&H in mid sussex, but I have taught supply at Varndean and found the behaviour to be sub-standard compared to other schools in the area. That said, I know a lot of children who have been very happy there.

RockinHippy Mon 01-Sep-14 21:47:48

I second slightlys view on behaviour there

We found it less than desirable too & this is born out by friends who had DCS there too - some now removed from there because of poorly dealt with bullying issues - we do know others who have been/ are happy there, but we found the general atmosphere far less respectful to staff than at other local schools - it wasn't on our preference oust as a result of this

ReadBall Tue 02-Sep-14 11:21:19

I am also from Brighton and have heard the same thing about behaviour at Varndean. Seems a bit strange when you think that Dorothy Stringer and Varndean have the same catchment area, but the cultures at the same school seem to be somewhat different.

I was very shocked to see that Varndean's exam results were down so much this year. 17 points lower than Dorothy Stringer, which puts Varndean on a par with BACA and Longhill shock. I suspect Varndean will struggle this year when doing their Open Days for new parents who will not be impressed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now