Books to prepare for maths common entrance

(12 Posts)
goldeneyes Mon 25-Nov-13 17:50:15

Does anyone know of a book which explains the concepts and gives questions (with answers in case I can't do it!). My son already uses the Galore Park books and doesn't really get on with them. Does anyone know of anything else?

cakelover4 Mon 25-Nov-13 18:09:26

I have seen some note books on Amazon - but I think they are by the ISEB too so they might be a similar style. Might be worth a look though.

juliemaths Mon 25-Nov-13 18:13:21

A maths teacher friend of mine - so I can't say I am unbiased! - has just published a revision workbook which has notes on all the topics. It is called Common Entrance Mathematic 13+ Revision Workbook. You can find it on Amazon.

showmethemoney1 Mon 25-Nov-13 18:22:50

Level 3 CE maths is the same as KS3 maths but it excludes a couple of things like trigonometry and quadratic equations.

Use any KS3 revision book from WH Smiths, they are a lot cheaper and a lot better than the Galore Park books which you also have to buy a separate answer book for.

It is worth getting hold of some old CE papers though, because they are exactly the same format every year. Schools will usually let you have copies if you ask.

goldeneyes Mon 25-Nov-13 19:39:50

Thanks, but who is the author.

juliemaths Mon 25-Nov-13 19:42:25

Sorry I forgot to say, the Common Entrance book is by N Dawson and P Thorns and costs £7.99 - so its a lot cheaper than Galore Park's books.

Lfs2126 Tue 26-Nov-13 07:39:10

Haves look at peter robsons books on amazon. We found them invaluable.

goldeneyes Tue 26-Nov-13 13:53:26

Thanks for all your help. I'll look at the Robson books and the Dawson book and let you know if either work.

juliemaths Tue 26-Nov-13 20:23:34

I don't really think GCSE revision books are as good as those specifically prepared for Common Entrance. Although the majority of the topics are the same, the type of questions often isn't. Much better to stick to the books which use CE style practice questions.

trinity0097 Wed 27-Nov-13 19:55:21

The ISEB revision guide and associated practice exercise textbook is the only resource I recommend to parents in my school, as it is the only resource I have found that exactly mirrors the style of questions in CE, which as we all know are highly formulaic!

goldeneyes Thu 28-Nov-13 08:54:17

I am sure the ISEB books will cover their own syllabus, but they are big and expensive. I was looking for something in one book that wasn't too daunting for my son to deal with on his own.

goldeneyes Sat 30-Nov-13 12:28:26

Thanks for all the help. I have now received my copy of "Common Entrance 13+ Revision and Practice" from Amazon. It looks to be exactly what I wanted for my son's revision. It has notes, lots of worked examples and plenty of practice questions ( with answers in the back ). All I have to do now is persuade him to use it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now