Is HUMILATINGchildren still a prt of teaching ?

(31 Posts)
posheroo Thu 21-Nov-13 12:31:50

And do teachers come on here to defend it

sonlypuppyfat Thu 21-Nov-13 12:38:18

When my friend was training to be a teacher I asked her if she'd been on her humiliation course yet? Lets face it we all know most teachers love it I remember a teacher making us jear a fat girl in PE, but I think this thread will not go well.

curlew Thu 21-Nov-13 12:39:55

No. But sometimes definitions of humiliation differ.

No and no. Sorry if you've encountered a crap teacher OP, but the rest of us are average people who like teaching.

SweepTheHalls Thu 21-Nov-13 12:43:23

Is being a parent that has no control over their child and thinks the sun shines out of their behind when they are rude and aggressive an obligatory part of moving a child up to secondary? Or is that an offensive generalisation like your point OP?

posheroo Thu 21-Nov-13 12:43:32

point taken But teachers should declare there hand when posting on sensitive subjects. AFTER ALL there more more parents and children than teachers. So please be frank Thanks

posheroo Thu 21-Nov-13 12:45:31

Look teachers have a position of authority and they should be open about how they use it. I accept the difficulties of the job you do.

curlew Thu 21-Nov-13 12:46:21

I have no idea what you're talking about,OP.

posheroo Thu 21-Nov-13 12:47:27

We had someone on here some time ago who said a teacher was using a disabled child for laughs in class

Well that's shocking-but fairly clearly not representative of the vast majority of the profession!

This is a thread about a thread - this one.

corlan Thu 21-Nov-13 12:50:33

I've been a TA 10 years and, funnily enough, I can't think of an occasion where a teacher has deliberately humiliated a child.

I can, however, think of loads of occasions where parents have refused to back up the school when their little darling has behaved like a brat.(Usually because the parent holds all sort of ignorant prejudices against teachers.)

There are some arseholes who are teachers same as there are some arseholes in every other profession and there are some unemployed aresholes.

I think it's daft to imply (by asking if it is still a part of teaching) that seeking to or desiring to humiliate children is somehow almost a requirement of being a teacher.

If there is an individual who is an arse, deal with that individual.

(No. I am not a teacher. Nor have I ever been)

posheroo Thu 21-Nov-13 12:56:18

Great Wizard I take the point and the language. (Ms Derbyshire would approve)

I liked the story of rhe male teacher to get attention who would do a somersault in class

tasteslikechicken Thu 21-Nov-13 12:58:41

corlan, I'm not sore the role of a teaching asst. is best suited to someone who describes children as "brats". You sound like a condescending joy, what with your jaunty "funnily enough" when thinking about your colleagues over the last ten years, and describing the children of parents as " little darlings".

Horrible and foul.

corlan Thu 21-Nov-13 13:16:18

I didn't describe them as 'brats' , I said some children sometimes behave like 'brats' - big difference.

HSMMaCM Thu 21-Nov-13 13:22:56

DD has only encountered one 'mean' teacher at secondary school. The others are all lovely and the nasty one mysteriously disappeared.

Faithless12 Thu 21-Nov-13 13:27:26

Corlan labelled the behaviour not the child. Humiliating a child is not part of teaching, although I've seen situations which could be described as banter and if a child was to go home to their parents and relay the conversation it could have been seen as humiliation.

Not a teacher but did train to be one.

Well, I have no idea what that Derbyshire thing is about, but I'm assuming it wasn't meant to compliment me, right? grin

cory Thu 21-Nov-13 14:04:31

What TheGreatWizard said.

eofa1 Thu 21-Nov-13 14:48:30

Tasteslikechicken, how absolutely absurd to suggest that somebody shouldn't be a TA because they stated that children sometimes BEHAVE LIKE brats. Are you seriously suggesting that some children, at times, don't behave atrociously?

eofa1 Thu 21-Nov-13 14:52:23

And the "little darling" comment was not, IMO, denigrating children, but rather quite accurately highlighting a depressingly common attitude amongst parents that their pwecious babies can absolutely never be guilty of behaving badly. Witness the number of comments on here like "I know 100% my child is telling the truth. They never ever lie". Yeah, riiight...

tasteslikechicken Thu 21-Nov-13 15:36:58

Children are now "pwecious babies" , why are people so sneery and condescending. Can't you just say some parents can get it wrong and can't see beyond their own view of their children.

Or is it necessary to lace an opinion with sarcasm.

eofa1 Thu 21-Nov-13 17:50:47

You're criticising others for a bit of sarcasm when you went so far as to suggest that somebody you don't know was unsuited to do their job based on a misrepresentation of what they said? Are you always such an arse?

Blissx Thu 21-Nov-13 18:51:46

Children are now "pwecious babies" , why are people so sneery and condescending. Can't you just say some parents can get it wrong and can't see beyond their own view of their children.

I could say the same for the way some people talk about teachers in general on here; sneery and condescending. Can't you just say some teachers get it wrong? Incidentally, most teachers on Mumsnet are parents as well. Hence the forum is largely catered to mums. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now