Comprehension- inference dc really needs help.

(8 Posts)
IslaValargeone Fri 15-Nov-13 17:54:43

Dc (year 7) had a comprehension test last week, she got the results today and failed the test, 48%.
Comprehension has never been her strong point if it involves inference, she just doesn't get it.
On a maths paper which said Name the triangle, she put 'Bert' or some such thing. confused
Where can I source some material to help her, or is it something that can't be improved?

AuntieBrenda Fri 15-Nov-13 17:57:29

Join Pinterest. The education board had loads of stuff on inference. Search for it on the Pinterest site

Iamnotminterested Fri 15-Nov-13 20:56:09

She sounds awesome to me with an answer like that!

When you said she failed, how exactly did she fail? What kind of level was the test pitched at? I would have thought that it would be pretty impossible to fail on a comprehension paper, however a bad day would give a low result, do you know what it was?

IslaValargeone Sat 16-Nov-13 08:34:32

IamnotminterestedYou are very kind, I think she's awesome too.
I don't now what level it was pitched at, she's in her first year at a Grammar school (if that makes a difference?)
She seems to think she went wrong on questions along the lines of "What might Joe have been thinking when x happened?" that kind of thing.
Anything where she had to read between the lines I think.
Vocab and grammar she is generally fine with, but historically unless stuff is in black and white she doesn't always catch on.
48% is bad though, even for her.
AuntieBrenda thanks for the recommendation, I shall check it out.

cardibach Sat 16-Nov-13 19:04:14

You can't be sure that 48% is bad unless you know the full range of marks awarded - it's a Y7 test, not an external exam with pass/fail or grade boundaries. Do you know how the rest of the class/year did?

Dominodonkey Sun 17-Nov-13 00:08:42

I have never really heard of English tests being recorded in percentages.
It isn't worked out in those terms but 48% in a last year's GCSE exam for English Language for one board was a C so certainly not a fail. It might not be quite as bad as you think.

I don't want to armchair diagnose but this sounds like the kind of problem that children on the spectrum have (especially coupled with good overall intelligence) I suggest you research techniques used for students with ASD as they may help her too.

breadandbutterfly Sun 17-Nov-13 00:22:51

Read loads in spare time esp classic novels. Saw some recent reseatch reported about how reading classic novels helps with reading between the lines, sensitivity to inference.

breadandbutterfly Sun 17-Nov-13 00:24:36

Loved your dd's answer, by the way!

Totally creative imagination!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now