Maths (Year 7)

(14 Posts)
lottysmum Thu 14-Nov-13 23:28:06

Sorry I seem to have a bee in my bonnet about Math's at the moment...

What would you expect top set Year 7 pupils to be achieving at the end of this year ?

My DD is in a VERY average school (64% achieving A-C GCSE)...intake is low in Year 7 because this was previously an Upper school where major intake is still Yr9.

Maths teacher (in my opinion) seems inconsistent..temperamental and tends to wave a stick rather than dangle a carrot .. even stating to the class that she may be leaving after this year....

She's indicated that some children in the class will be dropped down to the next set if they dont achieve Level 7 at the end of this year - which seems a very high expectation.... in the Year 7 intake is just 60 children split between 3 sets ...I cant believe that there will be 15-20 children working at Level 7 at the end of this year ...if it was a super selective school then maybe ...but not a VERY average state school ...

pinkcheese Thu 14-Nov-13 23:44:59

You are not being silly to worry about maths! My son scored a L6 in SATs last summer , did very well in the CATs (mean score 119) and his target for end of Y7 is a 6a, and end of Y9 is an 8b. This will translate (apparently!) to an A* GCSE (although GCSEs are changing before then). This is at a 'good with outstanding features' academy trust small secondary school (100 per year group). So I would say your maths teacher is a little optimistic grin

Marmitelover55 Fri 15-Nov-13 13:05:12

This all makes my DD1's target for for the end of year 7 look even odder than I thought. Her target is also a 6a, but her current level has been assessed as a 5b, and although she scraped a L5 in year 6 sATs, her teacher assessed level at the end of year 6 was only a 4a. How can she possibly be a 6a by the end of the year? This is in a high performing comp, but she is in the third set out of six.

PiqueABoo Fri 15-Nov-13 13:47:28

@Marmitelover55,

I believe the take it with a pinch of salt bean-counting rules for expected progression is 2 levels over KS2, thus 2 sub-levels per year if progress were uniform. However a school may be a bit less ambitious in Y7 (that's another debate).

You said your DD "scraped" a KS2 L5, so that's likely a 5C based on their actual score and a Y7 target of 5A makes some sense. It's not very encouraging given the subject area, but perhaps they wrote 6A when they meant 5A?

[Note: My DD is in Y6 so this isn't experience talking]

Marmitelover55 Fri 15-Nov-13 14:18:57

Thank you PiqueABoo - what you sounds logical, although the school have assessed her current level as 5b (pleasant surprise), so a 6c would seem a reasonable target. I've decided not to worry and wait and see at parents eve which is not until next year. She is finally enjoying maths a bit for the first time.

Madmog Fri 15-Nov-13 14:28:40

My daughter reckons she is average in the top set, is in Year 8 and has this week has been given a current level of 6.25. Her end of Year 8 target is 7.25 and end of Keystage 3 (Year 9) is 7.75. I understand their set is a little behind though, as they had a temporary teacher last year who didn't set homework and didn't teach everything required, so they are catching up.

I understand if she achieves her target and continues to work hard, she could achieve an A at GCSE. The top of their levels in school is a straight 8.

settledandsmug Fri 15-Nov-13 14:34:23

I have a DS in year 8 at a successful and high achieving comprehensive school. He is in top set and last year (year 7) they were only assessed to level 6. He scored a 6A in each of the termly tests. This year they are now being assessed to level 7 and he scored a 7A in the recent test. He is one of four in his top set designated as Gifted and Talented in maths. This is in a school with an excellent record in maths, so the targets you have been set sound a little unrealistic at best.

lottysmum Fri 15-Nov-13 15:58:02

Thank you for the responses ...I've got a mentor session next week with her form tutor and I really need to say something because my DD who is currently working at level 6 is getting really demoralized ...she has always been in the top set but lacks self belief although clearly has ability ...so making "threats" that children will be dropped into the lower set if they dont achieve level 7 is demotivating her...I know there are a few children working at level 7 now but this is a few...and this has not taken into account all aspects of Maths like Non Calc...

sandycloud Fri 15-Nov-13 16:08:47

My dd also in year 7. Her end of year target is 6c. She got level 5 in sats but has never been in top set at maths at primary school. But she is now. She even told teacher there must be a mistake and she shouldn't be there. I would be really pleased if she meets this target. Level 7 does sound high but guess there may be a couple at this level but like you say I'm sure they don't get their own class. Good luck with the meeting.

Worried123456 Fri 15-Nov-13 23:37:20

My DS is in Y7 in the top maths set at a grammar school. He got a 6C in maths at the end of Y6 and his last assessment was a 6B. I would say that probably the top lot of the top set would be on line for a 7 at the end of the year, but that would be a minority of the (rather high achieving and competitive) school. I can't imagine there would be a whole class worth though?

The teacher sounds like she's trying to scare them into thinking they'll have to drop down a set if they don't work??

lljkk Sat 16-Nov-13 18:03:18

A top set all at 6a-7c now sounds very very high indeed.
I think real issue here is teaching your DD not to be discouraged. Sets are supposed to overlap in ability, with fluid ability to move back up if they start to out perform too much for the slightly lower set. So moving down a set is no threat at all unless they'll badly miss their current friends and won't see them any other time. Some kids are more confident working at the top of the group rather than near the bottom, too. It can be very nice to take that pressure off.

DD is in y7 but i have no idea what targets she has.
Wonder when I'll find out.

I have targets for DS in y9 but they seem pretty meaningless to me. He certainly doesn't care about them.

trinity0097 Sun 17-Nov-13 16:49:04

When I taught able children in year 7 in a state middle school I would have expected the children who got 5a in yr 6 to have got to a low 7 at the end of year 7 and then an 8 in yr 8. We tended to find the most able went up 4 sub-levels in year 7. Certainly 2 levelsmin over the 2 years of ks3 (upper school started gcses in yr 9) for all but those that got 4c or lower in yr 6.

DeWe Mon 18-Nov-13 11:17:44

At dd's school (large comprehensive) the top end of her top set were getting 7b/7c. There were 4 top sets though, so only set across 3 forms. Assuming all the sets were equally good it would make a small top set, but a possible one.

It could be though that they are looking to take a small group further, perhaps a gifted and talented group who would be going quicker and doing more, particularly if there are a few that would benefit from that, it would be a great way of doing it for them.

lottysmum Tue 19-Nov-13 13:34:50

Update - We had first mentor session this morning ...and before I even had the opportunity of mentioning forecast achievement levels the tutor stated that this year the Yr 7 intake had a high percentage of Whizz Kids and that they were already achieving very high levels and the top set for Maths/Science and ICT had 28 pupils in it (out of intake of 60)....

Dd is doing well she's comfortable at level 6 and they will start to progress them further next term so level 7's are achievable and she has already had science assessments that was level 6A/7C... What was interesting is that she is forecast to get a level 7 at the end of this year in RE?

Just a real surprise...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now