Confused by targets for year 7

(9 Posts)
Marmitelover55 Wed 13-Nov-13 09:21:20

We have just received DD1's attainment and target report for the first half term in year 7. She has been awarded all grade 1s for effort which is excellent, but I am a bit confused by her targets for the end of year 7.

She has got attainment marks of 5b for maths, english and science, which are roughly consistent with her level 5 SATs results achieved at the end of year 6, although we also got a teacher assessed level at the end of primary school of 4a for maths and 5a for English (highlighting that she is much better in English than maths).

So that all seems fine, but her target for maths for the end of the year is 6a which seems overly ambitious and her target for English is only a 5c, which seems really low and below where she is now.

I understand that targets are not based on SATs levels at her school, but on some internal tests she did in June. So does that mean she did much worse in English and better in maths than we would have expected, and will these targets follow her all of the way through KS3? These do seem particularly important in her school as it uses streams in years 7 and 8. Thanks.

Marmitelover55 Wed 13-Nov-13 15:50:57

Bump please!

crazymum53 Wed 13-Nov-13 19:01:57

Assuming the tests done in June were CATs tests, they put the data in a computer programme and use this to create targets for end of Y7 and the end of Y9.
The National curriculum levels for KS3 Maths go up to level 8 whereas for English it's level 7 so this could account for the different result but is't debatable whether this is of any value.
My dd is in Y9 and what has happened is that these targets are adjusted from time to time as more assessments take place. It's still quite early days for your dd so levels may only be based on one or 2 pieces of work but level 5b sounds fine.
Don't worry about targets too much what I would look for is making regular progress: the actual levels 4,5,6 and 7 are most important - the sublevels a,b and c are more subjective.
HTH

lljkk Wed 13-Nov-13 19:30:20

Supposedly the computer programme partly takes into account your home postcode & social profile in the area.

I think the main lesson is to ignore the targets & encourage her to always do her best.

Marmitelover55 Thu 14-Nov-13 15:58:35

Thank you both - think I will just ignore the targets for now!

tintingirl Fri 15-Nov-13 00:51:08

The government has abolished levels at KS3 anyway, so I wouldn't worry about them at all. And in any event they are targets, which she can meet or beat (or not).

Marmitelover55 Fri 15-Nov-13 13:57:21

Have just spoken to her English teacher who has agreed that the target is too low and has increased it to a 6c smile

lljkk Tue 19-Nov-13 19:48:02

revival...
DD is being told targets which she thinks are targets for right now rather than for end of yr. Is that likely? I only ask because it's not how MNers talk about targets. She is tending to exceed them in assessments.

We parents haven't been told anything.

Marmitelover55 Tue 19-Nov-13 23:00:29

Sorry don't know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now