ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Foreign Exchange Visits

(57 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Nov-13 09:47:16

Are they important? Do you have to have one if your child is studying the language and it is offered?
If DS doesn't do it will he be the only one?

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Nov-13 21:43:38

Well it may not be a walk in the park for my family Sue. sad Sorry for the angst but I have had some really helpful replies, and I am trying to decide what to do.

I am glad your DDs both had good experiences.

Eastpoint Thu 07-Nov-13 21:55:27

We have a 12 year old staying with us at the moment. My DC will go back there next year. They seem to be getting on well, the schools have arranged activities for the visitors to do during the day & then they come home together. We have put them in the same room so it is less lonely. With the wonders of FaceTime they can be in touch with their family as much as they want & we have overheard descriptions of dinner being delicious (not intentionally). I would go for it.

beafrog Thu 07-Nov-13 22:43:33

I think exchanges are brilliant - best way to learn a language properly and your children learn as much in a week as they do in a year of lessons at school. My DC have done two and I wish they'd had the opportunity to do more - they've loved it.

PetiteRaleuse Thu 07-Nov-13 22:46:37

OP if your DS is showing even slight enthusiasm I would go for it. No angst needed. Where are you? Can you think of a couple of cheap but entertaining things you could do with a kid from abroad? That could even be a Sunday afternoon eating pub food (a lot of French kids would relish the idea of going to a proper British pub and/or eating proper fish n chips) and a country walk. Or, even, if you live in a big city, a walk through town at night so they can tell their friends that city centres in England are as crazy as they see on French TV (they'll probably tell their friends that they went clubbing and snogged a petite anglaise but that's just adolescent lying).

Ime when a French person, even a kid, goes to the uk they will be happy with seeing their stereotypes come alive, a walk by a river or sea and maybe some computer games or even reality tv shows like BGT or x factor, stuff we have over here. All else fails make them do sport, send your ds to the pool or football pitch or park with them. Really. They aren't all that different from us but maybe like a bit more physical activity. Ie walks/runs/swims or whatever.

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Nov-13 22:49:04

We're Worcestershire so plenty to see and do Petite. Perhaps I am over thinking as usual but DS can be a bit flakey as far as enthusiasm for things goes, and with it being 6 months away etc.....

PetiteRaleuse Thu 07-Nov-13 23:26:53

Plenty of time to book, distract him then build up to it then. <piles on pressure> sorry.

Sparklingbrook Thu 07-Nov-13 23:35:26

smile Yes. I feel slightly less panicked now. Teenagers eh?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now