New GCSE'S

(97 Posts)
fayeso Fri 01-Nov-13 11:12:48

Hi
My eldest is 13 this academic year, therefore due to sit GCSE's in 2017. Am I correct in thinking that her English and maths will be the new exams.....graded from 1-9, and her other subjects will be the old style GCSE...graded a-g?
Feeling slightly annoyed if this the case (which I think it is!!)
Can anyone confirm?

bigTillyMint Fri 01-Nov-13 18:30:56

Another guinea-pig-mum here - DD is in Y10 doing old style, with the dreaded CA's and DS is in Y8 and will be doing the new ones.

cricketballs what's the story about the iGCSE's - are they not included in the changes?

LIZS Fri 01-Nov-13 18:32:14

iGCSEs are already nearer the format proposed with less CA etc.

bigTillyMint Fri 01-Nov-13 18:37:56

Yes, I think DD's English HoD said there would be no CA's for the English iGCSE she will be doing (but I could be wrong as there was such a lot of information to take in!)

But will they be graded A*-G or 9-1?

bigTillyMint Fri 01-Nov-13 18:38:48

Scrap that - it'll be all totally new when DSY8 comes to do it, won't it?blush

friday16 Fri 01-Nov-13 20:55:26

Universities have a big chart saying what is equivalent to what, don't they?

You can read it yourself here:

www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/international-quals-2013.pdf

lljkk Fri 01-Nov-13 20:57:58

dd1 being the last cohort to do the 'old' exams. Are they likely to be de-valued?

Gawd, I wish my worries could get that complicated. I just want my y9 DS to get any qualifications.

sashh Sat 02-Nov-13 07:17:03

Ps: Slightly out of subject, the word GCSEs doesn't take an apostrophe where you used it both times in your post.

GCSE is an initialisation, not a word. It can, and used to take an apostrophe because you are missing out, and the plural would actually be GCsSE, however in common usage GCSEs is becoming the norm, identifying GCSE as an object in the same way GCSE has become the norm rather than G.C.S.E.

crypes Sat 02-Nov-13 07:34:14

That was rude and unnecessary for Rhianna1980 to point out the use/misuse of apostrophe ( what a prat). Anyway just to say my Dd is in year 8 and her work is already marked on a number level scale, she says 7a is the highest but never ever gets it. Which is a little worrying, as that's the equivalent of an A*.

crypes that is the KS3 nc levels, they work the other way around eg 8 is high and 2 is low. A level 7a isn't the highest and doesn't equal an a*!

SoupDragon Sat 02-Nov-13 07:49:18

DSs are Y10 and 8. However, I think they do iGCSEs so it probably won't make a difference.

What was the reasoning behind changing the grading? I don't understand why that helps with making the exams more "robust" or whatever they were aiming for.

kitchendiner Sat 02-Nov-13 07:53:50

I believe that SPaG will account for 20% in the new exams rather than 12% as it is currently. This is obviously not good for dyslexic students. I think I read on another thread here that IGCSE English has kept the speaking and listening part which is good for dyslexic students.

LIZS Sat 02-Nov-13 08:50:44

Don't think ds is doing Speaking and Listening as part of his iGCSE but maybe there are options

lljkk Sat 02-Nov-13 09:19:29

Maybe Crypes means that her DD is on a track to being expected to get A*.
DD has similarly high targets which also make me nervous.

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 09:27:55

Rihanna ?!

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 09:28:19

S doing speaking in his igcse. It's an option

kitchendiner Sat 02-Nov-13 09:45:51

Great relief it's still an option for IGCSE. DS is one of the many dyslexic students who excels at the S&L.

NoComet Sat 02-Nov-13 13:26:53

Trouble is iGCSE is only an option, in most areas, if you can afford private school.

As for DD resitting the first English CAs, everything's moved on to studying texts, rather than that kind of writing and she's got Drama, science and music CAs to worry about.

Even if the teacher offered resits (which I don't think she will) DD wouldn't want to do them.

The issue is further complicated by DD1 not wanting to explain why she wants to go else where for sixth form.

noblegiraffe Sat 02-Nov-13 13:47:25

They may stop counting IGCSE in the league tables, forcing schools to take the new GCSEs.

"[We] will seek evidence that any qualification being proposed for inclusion in performance tables does not have significant overlap with reformed GCSEs. … In time, this will result in the phasing out of academic qualifications from the annual list of non-GCSE qualifications counting towards performance tables."

media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/2/2016%20performance%20tables%20-%20technical%20guidance%20for%20awarding%20organisations.pdf

LordPalmerston Sat 02-Nov-13 13:56:13

igcse and we are state and proud.

Talkinpeace Sat 02-Nov-13 15:46:48

lots of state schools are doing iGCSEs next June .....

mummytime Sat 02-Nov-13 16:08:52

Well if they don't count IGCSEs then they go back to the situation a couple of years ago, where the top schools in the country all appeared at the bottom of the league tables as they no longer did GCSEs (I mean Eton et al). Only it would be worse now as more "State schools are doing iGCSEs, especially all these Academies.

TheArticFunky Sat 02-Nov-13 16:44:35

At the moment students need the magic C in English/Maths. What will be the magic number required under the new system?

noblegiraffe Sat 02-Nov-13 16:49:21

It hasn't been decided yet. It will probably be 4 or 5.

friday16 Sat 02-Nov-13 17:31:56

Only it would be worse now as more "State schools are doing iGCSEs, especially all these Academies.

Suppose iGCSE English and Maths returned to the pre-2009 position of being non-GCSE equivalent. If an academy did non-GCSE Maths and English it would immediately fall below the floor standards and be placed into special measures. Academy status is no protection against special measures; neither is being a free school. Such schools may be able to set their own syllabus, but they still have to meet floor standards.

mummytime Sat 02-Nov-13 18:34:49

I would bet on: Of Mice and Men, The Crucible, and An Inspector Calls, as I studied all those many centuries years ago, and my DC are still studying them. (Of course with Shakespeare, and maybe Dickens returning, I never got to the end of Great Expectations.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now